Hi everyone

I have been trolling through threads on the above subject and it seems the published rod length has come up short for some folk, i.e. not enough threads engaged on rod ends.

I am at the stage of mounting ailerons to wings and have 2 lengths of tube 24" long at the ready.

Is there any merit in assembling the pushrods that long or would you recommend trimming to the published 23-3/16 length?

With the tubes left at 24" the rod ends are threaded in for about 3/4 of their length to get the 27-5/8 centre to centre as per the drawing.

Any suggestions on what I could do at this stage to avoid a do-over?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Fred,

I built mine per plans and did not have any issues. If you think you might encounter a problem with the length specified I would check with Vans before building a longer push tube.

Every time I thought I new better than Vans, most of the time I was proved wrong.

Yesterday, I cut the 48in tube in half. I don't have the drawing in front of me, but I remember the dimension being 23 13/16 on the drawing. Only 3/16 less than the 24in I have after cutting in half. With the overall length set to 27 5/8, there are still plenty of threads left to shorten the overall length if need be.