prkaye

Well Known Member
Two things about the aileron pushrods I'm uncertain about:

1) On DWG 15 (RV-9/9A), for the pushrods the plans call for AN316-4 and AN316-6 Jamnuts. In my kit, I do not appear to have these nuts. In Wing Bag 1930-2, I have 5 each of AN316-4L and AN316-6L nuts (these are the thinner ones). Am I supposed to use these thinner jamnuts for the pushrods?

2) For the W-918 pushrod, shown on DWG 15, it does not say "Make from...". I assume I am to use the ST-4130-035x1/2x48-PC, and cut this in half, one half for each W-918 pushrod. Is this correct? How should I cut this steel... would be tough on my bandsaw blade?

Hi guy!

I'm getting close to the same point you are. I would like to know the answer to both questions myself.

I only received one of the small diameter steel rods as well and I was going to measure the distance needed for each and see if cutting it in half would be enough. I'd be willing to be it is.

As for the jamnuts. I used the inventory pic sheets to determine which hardware went where. I found that each bag number had coresponding parts per a "sub assembly" and most all the parts were together. Here again I'll bet you'll use the jamnuts in question.

I'll keep an eye on this one to see how wrong I am.

The 48" tube cut in half gives 24". The total length should be just over 27". I checked the threaded rods and bearings... when you attach these they can easily make up the remaining length.
So I'm 99.99% certain this is what to do about the rod itself (although still don't know if trying to cut that steel will destroy my bandsaw blade!).
Still don't know about the jamnuts... I've mailed Vans.

I have tucked my bandsaw away in a safe place. I no longer wish to try and use it to cut anything. It has never cut a straight line, not with a new blade or what I try to do or adjust. I can get better cuts done quicker with my trusty hacksaw. I'm gonna use it to cut my steel aileron pushtube and everything else metal.

Use the Ls

I love Vans... it took me a while to get used to their very curt, brief and direct manner of responding to support queries, but the brevity is probably how they manage to respond to email questions usually within 1 business day.
I asked about those Jamnuts, and the response was "use the Ls" (the L's being the thinner ones).

Anybody know how tight these jamnuts should be? It seems like thier purpose is to fix the position of the rod-end bearing... not sure if torque values are specified for a jamnut over a rod-end bearing.

captainron said:
I just used a tubing cutter. Worked fine.

Same kind used on aluminum fuel lines, etc.? Didn't think it would do the job...I'll give it a try.

My bandsaw is the tool of last resort as well, for same reason.

Joe

"bandsaw for sale"

I'm finding that my bandsaw is mostly usefull for for cutting the wood parts for leading edge jigs. For aluminum and steel I use a hacksaw or die grinder with a cutting disk then file smooth.

jferraro16 said:
Same kind used on aluminum fuel lines, etc.? Didn't think it would do the job...I'll give it a try.

My bandsaw is the tool of last resort as well, for same reason.

Joe

Any good tubing cutter will work fine on steel tubing. The larger versions cut through black or galvanized pipe, and there some with their cutter wheels on a chain that's used to cut cast-iron sewer pipe.

You're right of course. These things where made for plumbers and bought at Home Depot...at least mine was...guess I forgot about that. Thanks for the tip!

Joe