MXpilot1

I recently purchased a set of pushrod boots for my -6 from flight line interiors. These boots are obviously made to install with the wing off. I fabricated an aluminium plate per the supplied template and planned to squeeze the boot between the plate and the inside of the bulkhead. The problem is, I can't get a drill between the floor ribs to drill rivet holes in the bulkhead. Any suggestions?

Flexible drill extension

I made my own per Ken Scott's article in Sport Aviation and installed them after I had been flying the plane for some time. As I recall I used a flexible shaft that you can buy from the tool section of Home Depot etc. At the working end there is a 3/16" hex socket where you plug in the special drills with a male 3/16" hex on the rear. I used sheetmetal screws instead of pop rivets for service reasons. Where the screws stuck through the fuselage side wall I applied Dow 736 RTV over the screw tips. I also sealed the mounting interface with RTV.

Bob Axsom

MXpilot1 said:
I recently purchased a set of pushrod boots for my -6 from flight line interiors. These boots are obviously made to install with the wing off. I fabricated an aluminium plate per the supplied template and planned to squeeze the boot between the plate and the inside of the bulkhead. The problem is, I can't get a drill between the floor ribs to drill rivet holes in the bulkhead. Any suggestions?
Unless since modified, the aluminum ring/plate is my design. At the time Abby had yet to receive any -6 series orders and the -7 series template she did sent me for the aileron boots would not work. After several phone calls and more than a few ill-fitting boots crossing the mails, I finally made up an aluminum ring/plate that would work and sent it to her. She traced the template and sized the boot fabric to its dimensions.
Anyway, I ended up using 2 rings per side, installing nutplates on the interior plate, attaching the assembly from the outside with screws and sealed with RTV. Admittedly, the photo makes it difficult to tell that the fasteners are actually hex head screws.
rv1002edited35ao0.jpg

I'm a bit confused because you say you cannot get a drill between the floor ribs. If memory serves, a right angle drill motor fitted with a short drill bit cut to size should work. What am I missing? Can you post a detail photo of the area in question?

Rick6a said:
Anyway, I ended up using 2 rings per side, installing nutplates on the interior plate, attaching the assembly from the outside with screws and sealed with RTV. Admittedly, the photo makes it difficult to tell that the fasteners are actually hex head screws.

Rick-
I've been working on this now, before I attach my wings. Is there a particular reason you used 2 rings (1 inside and one outside)? I've been planning on attaching platenuts to the outboard seat rib and then just using a ring on the outside of the fuselage to which the fabric is attached. Do you see any disadvantages to doing it this way? Thanks.

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Rick-
I've been working on this now, before I attach my wings. Is there a particular reason you used 2 rings (1 inside and one outside)? I've been planning on attaching platenuts to the outboard seat rib and then just using a ring on the outside of the fuselage to which the fabric is attached. Do you see any disadvantages to doing it this way? Thanks.
Steve,

As I recall, I used two rings because on the -6 series the perimeter of the hole is stamped for strength and the second (inside) ring was needed to serve as a flat surface for the nutplates to be attached to. The second ring would have not been needed if I chose to attach everything with sheet metal screws or even rivets. I tend to overbuild.

That said, if I had a do over I would attach the assembly opposite of the way I did. By that I mean it is probably more efficient to install the nutplates on the outside ring (as shown in the previously posted picture) and screwed in place with the screw heads on the inside ring. The way it is now, if I ever have to replace the boot fabric, I'm going to have to reach into the narrow space underneath the wing root fairing to unscrew the fasteners. It would be considerably easier if the screw heads were located under the floor pan instead!

installation of aileron boots in flying RV

Easiest way to install the aileron boots in a flying RV is in the inside of the cabin. Here is how I did it way back in 2000:

http://thervjournal.com/cold.html#boots

The boot rings were simply pop-riveted to the side of the fuse and there has been no reason to repair or replace the boots during the past ~700 flight hours.

Last edited: