Merle

I'm New Here
Has anyone installed aileron pushrod boots on a flying RV-8..
If so would you mind sharing your expertise. I have lots of cold air coming in around the rear stick. It is very cold when the sun goes down and the temp is below freezing... Any ideas
Dean

Dean,

Check out this site: http://my.execpc.com/~erdmannb/construction.html

I have made the ring and fitted the boots to my -9 but have not flown it yet so I can't tell you if they work or not but from what I've read, they should help.

It was easy enough to do. Probably easier when building as you don't have to take the aileron pushrods off but no problem if you are flying.

I don't know how so much air gets in the wing / fuselage gap but it does.
I made and installed boots very similar to this on my RV-8.
I used an inexpensive poncho for the boot material. It certainly cut down the airflow but air being what it is, it will find a new way to enter the cockpit!

I actualy have the opposite problem now. My center section gets very warm! Not bad this time of year but it can be unbearabel in the summer. Where could this heat be coming from?

Scott A. Jordan
N733JJ
KPOU

an expensive alternative....

If you're already flying and want an easy install (but pricey!) solution to the air leaks, try a rear seat stick boot assembly from Classic Aero; they have the vinyl ones priced at $191 for a front/rear seat pair... perhaps you could ask nicely to buy just the rear seat boot?

The rear boot has a vinyl/sheet metal cover that hides the whole rear seat stick well and blocks out any airflow. For me, a bonus safety feature of this unit is that since it covers the open stick/control column well, it keeps stuff from falling down there and getting lost or jamming the flight controls... easy install too, took all of two minutes to put in.

Yep, it's expensive, but quick and effective.

Thanks

Thanks for the information... I going to make aileron boots and put a boot on the rear stick area.
Dean