flickroll

Well Known Member
I have bought the Fliteline Interiors aileron pushrod boot 'kit'. The metal rings have been fabricated and the boot material has been rubber cemented to the rings. Question: what's the best way to attach the rings to the fuselage? I suppose I could drill for #6 screws and attach that way but am curious what others have done. Also, was it necessary to seal between the metal ring and the fuselage to prevent air leakage that way? Thanks

Aileron seals

I smeared some Goop on the rings and pop riveted them in place. RTV would work just as well.

platenuts and RTV

I used nutplates and #8 screws to attach to the fuse. Sealed with RTV. Pop rivets are probably faster and easier to install. You won't be removing these boots anyway.

Goop

Goop is a clear, solvent based adhesive. Great stuff. You can find it at the hardware store as "Amazing Goop", and at the hobby/craft stores as E-6000 adhesive. Shoe Goo is a very close relative.

Goop is also non-conductive so it is very useful in electrical applications like sealing DB connectors, etc.

Hey Jim, I was going to install pushrod boots, but I was concerned about the relatively small openings on the -8/8A. I thought that the boots were more intended for the side-side models. Does it look like the boots will work well on your -8? If so, I may install them now before I get my aileron pushrods installed.

pushrod covers

Do you have the address for Fliteline Interiors......can't seem to Google it. Thanks Wallbangar

I put mine in with #6 screws and plate nuts as well...I wouldn't think they would ever need to be replaced, but you never know...

7-30-07-003w.jpg

Mine look almost identical to Chad's.

One other area you are going to want to plug is the gap in the main spar web. I did not plug it but will with the next annual. A lot of cold air comes up through that area. My preference is to make a piece of aluminum that will block the opening, rather than using foam, which could hold water.

Abby called me today and she's going to send me the new and improved boot at no charge! Talk about great service. The newer version does not require the alum rings, but rather they mount to the fuselage with adhesive backed Velcro. I think there's a picture of the newer ones on their website.

boot-mounting question

So, I was going to make my own mounting rings and boots. But on the RV-8, the fuselage side skin where the pushrod comes through is doubled, with the inner part having a stamped stiffener rim around the "D" shaped hole.

The outside is flat, so the mounting ring will fit against that, but how did you put screws or rivets through the raised surface of the stamped stiffener rim? Did you just pinch the two skin plies together? Or open up a clearance hole for the screw heads in the inner surface, letting the screw or rivet grip only on the outer panel? Or?