SeanB

Well Known Member
I decided to go the "weld it" route on the aileron push tubes. The results look good. Just gotta finish the prime and paint of the outside. Pics: http://websites.expercraft.com/sblair/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=58919

I've read in the archives that some have drilled a 1/8th hole and added line oil to the inside of the tube for corrosion protection, then plug with blind rivet.

I primed the inside of these tubes prior to welding. Should I assume the welding heat wiped that out and need to go the oil route? Any special rivet...just a blind / solid one?

Where do I get the oil?

Thanks again.

Hi Sean

Linseed oil is what the old timers used on chromemoly tubing. After it is sloshed around from end-to-end, it was drained and the hole welded up.

Best,

Amazing. You are building another RV! Excellent. That you are building it at home means that you don't get to see all the wonderful RV folks at Meadow Lake. But you get to see your family more.

Hey Ron.

Yep...been back at it for awhile. Working at the house is sure nice and more productive. An hour here and there adds up.

Tell the gang at KFLY "hi" for me.

BTW...last they knew, I was building a nosedragger. Keep 'em in the dark.;)

Weld

If you primed the inside prior to welding you will need to apply primer through the tapped hole and slosh around over the weld.

Pat

Bruce,

Too late...1/16 hole was already drilled by welder. I thought this had to be done because of the heat and two closed ends to relieve pressure during welding. Saw that on other VAF posts. Guess not???

These pushrods are pretty small. I can't imagine that much pressure needing to be relieved. The tubing is pretty stout. The welder who did mine said that drilling a hole would only compromise the strength of the tubing. He has these welded up in less than 10 minutes and they look great. Certainly much stronger than putting two long rivets in the ends.

849985314_9TMQX-M.jpg