dan carley

Well Known Member
i recently purchased a flying rv4, i've noticed in level flight both ailerons are down from the wing tip about 1/2 in. is this normal ?

thank you

dan carley

Not normal,but the flap,aileron and wingtip should all be in line when properly rigged. It is possible the tips were drilled up before the plane was rigged and that's the best he could do. On my 4, the inboard end of the flap overhang had to be joggled to allow the flap to achieve full up travel or mine would be like yours. You may have several issues that aren't affecting flight, but could be much better if rigged correctly.

ailerons

if i put a straight edge on the rib of the wing it does show the aileron down on both sides. and the flaps need to be raised

danny

I can send a picture of what I did on mine if you'd like that allows the flaps to come up higher. I may be at my hanger this eve to take some pictures. Send me a PM if you'd like.

There should be a small hole in the aileron bellcranks and mounting brackets. When I adjusted my -4 ailerons I put pins in the holes to properly locate the bellcranks. I then adjusted the pushrods to the stick to center the stick.

I had adjusted my flaps to the proper full up position, and so then I adjusted the ailerons to be in line with the flaps.

What I found was that the ailerons did not line up with the wing tips, so the wing tips were not installed properly. No way to easily fix that so I just left it the way it was.

One think to check if trying to align ailerons and flaps is that they are not bowed, warped, or twisted. The right flap on my -6 warps up about 1/8" in the outboard third of the flap, so it is impossible to get it all to line up perfectly.

YMMV