tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I countersunk the holes in the pipe to attach the counterweight pipe to the aileron leading edge.

Looks like it will be hard to dimple the leading edge aileron skin due to curvature.

Did most countersink for blind rivets or just let the cs blind rivet pull the skin into the holes in the pipe?

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway

DON'T DIMPLE !!!

Hi Tom,

Don't dimple!!! :eek:

I thought the same when came time to rivet the skin and tried it on one hole.
I put the dimple dies and started to squeeze slowly but stopped before getting half-way because the skin around the hole started to deform badly.

Just let the rivet head do what it can when it's squeezed. Make sure you press firmly on your rivet squeezer to help form the dimple.

Your mileage may vary...!!!

I used the male dimple die in an rivet gun adaper, turned the pressure way down, and lightly tapped the dimple into the metal, using the coutersunk pipe as the female die.

another way...

Eric is right - don't dimple in the normal way...

What I did was to use the male dimple die attached to a metal shaft, and after countersinking the pipe, and clecoing the skin on, (with the assembly supported on a 2" x 4" turned horizontally) remove one cleco, insert male dimple die (pipe acts as the female dimple die) and "whack" the shaft/dimple die with a hammer. I would then pull the dimple die out and insert a cs blind rivets and test fit the hole in the skin. After I liked the fit, I put the cleco back in, and moved to the next hole and removed the next cleco and repeated the process until all holes were dimpled. It worked out great.

I looked at my log, but didn't take any pictures of the process... sorry.

Here's a photo of the results of my method in post # 3:

FP10022013A000EE.jpg