Brambo

Well Known Member
Just getting ready to attach the aileron hinge bracket (W-413) to the rear spar and I noticed that the rivet call out for the lower left rivet is for a flush rivet. This seems an odd place for a flush rivet (on the angle bar), can anyone tell me why this lone rivet needs to be flush?

Bill
RV-7A (QB wings)

A little extra clearance for the nose of the aileron as it swings past. Same deal with the three flush rivets on the inboard most portion of the flap brace.

The outboard bracket (W 414) is also this way,probably for aileron clearance whae the aileron is full down

To insure clearance for full travel of the ailerons. A 470 will most likely clear but it's a good idea to stick to the plans here.

What method is best to counter sink in the tight area of the angle of the aileron bracket for the flush head?

GRD

"Suicide mode"

I believe Dan coined the phrase, "Suicide Mode", referring to countersinking using the long deburring shaft in your drill, with the appropriate countersink attached at the end. The "suicide" refers to the fact that you have no countersink stop cage, and it can get away from you - chewing through more than you wanted :eek:

I actually prefer it in places, but be warned - practice on some like material before you go that route (ask me how I know). The idea is that you can get the countersink into some pretty tight places, like the area of the angle of the aileron bracket. Check your depth using some pre-dimpled scrap of the same thickness.