WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
Another RV-6 question:

Where the aileron gap fairing overlaps the rear spar doubler, do most folks split the fairing and step it up onto the doubler (like the flap brace)? What about clearance around the aileron hinges; do you just notch the gap fairing to clear the angle on the hinge. Since the gap fairing is 0.016, I am a little concerned with notching and leaving an unsupported edge...

I would appriciate pictures of someone elses install if available.

Thanks

We just did the (similar) aileron gap fairings on our -3B, and I looked at how it was done on the -6 (kit #4) for inspiration. Believe it our not, it was done BOTH ways - on one wing, it was slit, and on the other, it just had a little bow in it where it crossed the doubler. At least the -3 is consistent - I just let it overlap on the doubler - the bulge is hardly noticeable, as the fairing is very thin and flexible. it might cost us that Gold Lindy some day....;)

Paul

I used the RV-7 aileron gap fairings on my RV-6. They all ready have the step cut into them as well as being way easier to install. Highly recommend using them instead of the RV-6 aileron gap fairings.

Thank you veru much for the help.

Paul,

Good to know that either method will work! I'll probably go with the slit-and-step method for now. Where the fairing overlaps the angle from the hinge, I was just going to cut a notch out to clear the hinge - do you think it would be worthwhile to put some kind of doubler at the notch to keep the corner of the fairing from fluttering?

Tom,

Using the 7 fairings is a great idea, to bad I already drilled the fairing to the upper skin last night - plus I am to impatient to wait for another round of parts....haha ohh well, next time then!

Thanks,

Colin