Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I've had a tough time getting my right flap and aileron rigged correctly. The ailerons are centered using the aileron rigging tool. But I can't get the right flap up high enough to align with the inside edge of the right aileron. It is about 1/4 inch low. I believe it is because the aileron trailing edge is not perfectly straight. I can see that it has a slight curve in it. My belief is that the aileron trailing curves up on the inside edge about 1/4 inch.

It is difficult to be certain. I suppose the flap could be twisted. The reason I suspect the aileron is because I can see it on the trailing edge.

The question is what should I do? Would it be wrong to fly it as is to see if I have a heavy wing? I could buy a quick build aileron to see if that is actually the problem.

Thanks Mike

Hi Michael-

I have about 1/4-3/8" of twist in one of my flaps such that my ailerons and flaps don't align on one side. No big deal. If it ends up causing you a heavy wing down the road there are many ways of dealing with that. Plus, FWIW, Ken Scott at Vans told me a number of years ago not to worry about it. Maybe someday if the aesthetics begin to bother me (doubtful!) I'll build another flap.

Hope this helps.

PS, if you can find a long surface that you KNOW to be flat, just flip the flap upside down. It will be easy to see if there is any twist.