captainron

Well Known Member
We're ready to order the QB 7 and one of the options is electric aileron trim. Is this a better/lighter way than the manual trim? Also, which option should we select if we plan to have an autopilot?
Thanks

A very opinionated topic

Ron:

Search for the thread on this from several weeks ago. I'll summarize for you: it's a horse race and most opinions are from builders that feel justified in their choice, no matter if they chose manual or electric. Figure out what you want and buy it; I don't think there is a right or wrong here.

Jekyll

Electric Trim

For me, the main advantages with electric trim were:

1) it is easier to run some awg#22 than a bowden cable;

2) having trim control on the stick grip is kind of nice.

Mickey, He is talking aileron trim (no bowden cable). I have the manual trim and like it just fine. Aileron trim is used much less frequently than pitch trim. I think you will be happy with which ever you choose.

I actually do use my aileron trim quite a bit - no doubt because it is on the coolie hat on my stick. What I have found is that the roll trim condition is very dependent on airspeed, and I like being able to adjust the stick forces as I slow down from cruise to pattern and landing speed. Not critical - I do it because it is easy, since it's right there. I susepct the speed dependency is due to the fact that with the spring-bias system, the ailerons get forced more into trail at higher speeds, so you get less actual trim effect.

I agree that it is a personal choice, and either way works.

Paul

Currently have all electric with cooley hat on the stick. I think I'll go with manual trim on my next project. Have only had problem with the electric twice in 840+ hrs, but still think using a couple of push/pull cables with vernier control under the left side of the panel would be mo betta.