DJefferson

I'm New Here
First off,, I‘m new here and to the RV world. After serious admiration for quite some time, I recently purchased a flying -6. I’m super thrilled with it and I can attest.. the ”RV Grin” is a very real thing!! Anyway, I’m currently working through a heavy right wing issue.. After MUCH research, perusing countless posts, going through Van’s troubleshooting and “procedures” (I haven‘t squeezed a TE yet and would rather not until the other items are addressed first) I have found a few squawks that need attention. Without going through every step here on this post, it’s really come down to 3 blaring issues that I believe are contributing to my heavy wing. First and the easiest,, the outboard bracket on the left aileron is just shy of 1/8” low. I have new brackets coming so i can deal with that.. The next two issues are with the right aileron..

All this leading up to my question (sorry for the rambling). It appears that the counterweights in my ailerons are different diameters. Looking at the plans it shows to be 1/2” pipe. One of mine is 1/2” ID (right side) but doesn’t fit well at all. The distortion this creates in the nose skin of the aileron causes that lower portion to protrude below the bottom wing skin when the aileron is neutral and in trim.. all draggy and out in the breeze

IMG_2553.jpeg
Right side counterweight viewed from the outboard end

IMG_2550.jpeg
the forward lower edge of right aileron protruding below the wing, aileron is neutral and lined up perfectly with the flap TE.
IMG_2551.jpeg
top of the right aileron. The gap measures even all the way across and even with the flap. Both flaps are even, all the way up and the “in-line” measurements with the upper and lower wing skins check good with no detectable twist.

IMG_2549.jpeg
The third issue is in the pic above. The goofy fitment of the counterweight is causing the lower portion of the nose skin to be concave from the nose to the aileron spar. I believe this to have an impact on the heavy wing as well.

IMG_2555.jpeg
Right counterweight

IMG_2552.jpeg
left counterweight. Larger diameter,, much better fitment.
IMG_2557.jpeg

Obviously, I need to re-work the right side.. But why the different sizes? I must also mention that the aircraft was built in the mid 90s. The left aileron was replaced and logs noted in 2013. Were there different sizes or revisions over the years? I can’t believe someone would “leave” that fitment on the right side unless “that’s just how they were”. (I have a hard time believing that).

Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for any technical advice! There is an unbelievable wealth of knowledge here and I consider it a privilege to be able to tap into that. Looking forward to the replies
Thanks,
Devin

Devin:

I do not know what state or area of the country you are in.

To me, it looks like you already found the problem. Yes looking at your photos, I would say that is an issue.

My RV-6 made first flight in 1997 and both aileron counterweights (pipes) are the same.