prkaye

Well Known Member
I don't understand the aileron control stops. I made them as per plans, and one of them doesn't even contact the aileron at all. Are these supposed to stop upward or downward travel of the aileron, and where on the aileron are they supposed to contact?

They stop upward travel contacting the powder coated aileron hinge bracket. Drill both rivet holes in the stops now. Install one rivet but leave it loose enough to pivot the stop into position, contacting the pc bracket, Then use the second stop hole as a drill jig to drill the second hole thru the big bracket.

Steve

Alternative solution

Another way to do the aileron stop is to put a nylor/delrin bushing over the spacer on the bolt that attaches the rod to the aileron. A 1/2" OD bushing worked perfectly for me. The bushing contacts the aileron mount and limits the up position. I don't have any pictures handy, but it's been discussed here before. I believe Mickey Coggins came up with this one.

They stop upward travel contacting the powder coated aileron hinge bracket

OK thanks, that makes sense now that I've removed the alignment jig to allow free movement of the ailerons.

1) On downward travel, one of them is catching slightly on the aileron LE skin preventing free movement. I guess I should trim the stop back a bit here?

2) Is downward travel just implicitly limited by the upward travel limit of the opposite aileron (since the ailerons will be linked)?

1. I had to give an extra squeeze to a rivet on both outboard wing brackets because the shop heads were rubbing on the white aileron brackets.

2. Yes, the down travel is limited by the opposite aileron up travel.

counting the days,
Steve