DragonflyAero

Well Known Member
I fabricated the aileron control stop pieces from aluminum angle as shown on Drawing 13A Having done so, for the life of me I can't figure out how attaching it to the inside of the inboard hinge bracket will do anything. Nor can I figure out how you are supposed to determine its location.

Anyone out there that can help, please do!! This is driving me crazy! I searched the forums but could not find anything.

It's tricky

I've just done this yesterday. The aileron stop makes contact with the powder coated aileron bracket at the correct aileron deflection. With the aileron installed I determined the neutral point (angle) of the bracket. I then removed the aileron, took the bracket off the aileron and remounted the aileron bracket to the wing and pushrod. With a digital level i then set the bracket position to the appropriate aileron deflection up, clamped it securely in place and drilled the stop to the wing hinge butted flush up against the bracket It's a drawn out process but it works.

My wife came out to ask me what I'd done in 3 hours. When I showed her that little piece of metal (aileron stop) she just laughed and walked back out. :)

Hope that helps..

Simon

Last edited:
Thanks!! I finally found another post with a picture and Eureka, it is as you say!! The stop hits the powder coat aileron bracket in the full up position.

Thanks!!!!

I decided to make the delrin aileron stops as described here and in many other builds. I'm sure a quick search for delrin stops or similar will bring it up. Seemed a much simpler method.

Chris

I also used the delrin/nylon bushings I found at the local hardware store for pennies. Much easier to attatch and or adjust if needed for aileron travel. Also the controls don't bang angainst the stops, the nylon cushions them. I don't remember if I used 5/8 or 3/4 OD, but I did drill and insert the aluminum spacer in the ID of the nylon. Best pic I could find, more searching on VAF will bring up others.
A01B0950-F86B-469E-8389-CA3691031B7A-16770-000009CFFA70FAD8_zps8b1ee382.jpg

+1 for the bushing style stop. I didn't even fabricate the Vans style (and I can't figure out why they won't update the design to this).

I'm not a fan of metal to metal contact, and with these when hitting the stops you don't get that "Whack" sound. More like a dull "thud."

I also used the delrin/nylon bushings I found at the local hardware store for pennies. Much easier to attatch and or adjust if needed for aileron travel. Also the controls don't bang angainst the stops, the nylon cushions them. I don't remember if I used 5/8 or 3/4 OD, but I did drill and insert the aluminum spacer in the ID of the nylon. Best pic I could find, more searching on VAF will bring up others.
A01B0950-F86B-469E-8389-CA3691031B7A-16770-000009CFFA70FAD8_zps8b1ee382.jpg

we built 3 rv 7s and this is exactly what we did. fast and cheap

Is 3/4" a consistently good size to use for this? I'm about to order some Delrin from McMaster, way more than I need, and was thinking maybe I could cut off pieces from the remaining length to make available to VAF members who might want them.

Is 3/4" a consistently good size to use for this? I'm about to order some Delrin from McMaster, way more than I need, and was thinking maybe I could cut off pieces from the remaining length to make available to VAF members who might want them.

If you've got a Home Depot Aviation Supply nearby, they have a pretty good selection of these, already sized - grab a selection of the ones with the correct inside diameter, and try them - cheaper than shipping.

Aircraft Spruce sells em' I believe by the foot. You can add them to your next order; no hurry because you can always add these much later in the build.

Chris

Aircraft Spruce sells em' I believe by the foot. You can add them to your next order; no hurry because you can always add these much later in the build.

Chris

Chris, I think that you'll find, given the different geometry of the 9 ailerons, that the delrin stops will not work unless you are willing to have one about 1" in diameter that sticks up into the airstream. You'll have too much travel in one direction. I can't remember which. This is not apparent until both wings are on and you are setting up the rigging. Tried it and ended up using vans standard here. It's really no big deal once you can visualize what the plans are saying.

How about a -4?

I am about there on my -4 wings. Wonder if the nylon inserts will work on them. I can fab the aluminum angles if necessary, but like the softer nylon better. The 4-6-7-8-9 wings are similar, so it might work?

GRegg

Make one of these out of 3/4-inch Delrin rod and the appropriate size aluminum tubing...
FP21042013A00005.jpg

...install it here...
FP21042013A00078.jpg

...and it will contact the aileron bracket at 32 degrees up aileron to serve as a stop:
FP21042013A00079.jpg

BTW, not my idea; I'm just one of many to steal this idea from whomever did come up with it.

Hmmmmm

I went the plans built way already and looking at my installation the aluminium spacers on the bolt that holds the pushrods to the aileron bracket just about touche the wing structure at an aileron deflection of 30 degrees up. How are you gentleman fitting the delron nylon in there and still getting max aileron deflection?

Everyone has been a great help and today I tried the 3/4" spacers and they appear to be perfect.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Bill