RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Another question for the gallery. I reamed my brass bushings for the aileron bell crank yesterday. Well this did not turn out as I had hoped. The hole did not stay centered. I did use a drill press but my press did not have the travel length to drill the hole length of the bushing so part way through I had to readjust the table to finish the ream. I did not like this so the second bushing I but in the vice and used a cordless drill.

It is just slightly off center, I can get a bolt in but it is a snug fit the last third of the travel. This is the same with both bushings. I know there will be no rotation around the bolt but my worry is the bushing will now be slightly off as it sits in the bell crank. Will this cause any wear issues, should I just get new bushings?

Oddly enough I decided to ream them myself instead of taking them to a machine shop, due to there minimum $35 charge, I should have known:rolleyes: I have read some builder sites where they just held the bushing in pliers and drilled not reamed them. Am I being excessive with my worries here? What I worry about is the bushing not having symmetrical stress might cause some type for cracking or wear. I am not sure but I think the brass is soft enough that things might even out, but will I end up with some slop in the control movements. The simple answer I know is to get new bushing and have a machine shop to an exact job on them.

Cheers

Mike -

I'd bolt them up in assembly with the bellcrank and brackets, and see how they move for you. If they are smooth and free that way, I'd probably press on. I don't remember for sure how I did mine (way back in the mists of time), but based on the tools I owned then, it was probably a hand drill and a vise.....

Paul

Just fine!

Mike -

I'd bolt them up in assembly with the bellcrank and brackets, and see how they move for you. If they are smooth and free that way, I'd probably press on. I don't remember for sure how I did mine (way back in the mists of time), but based on the tools I owned then, it was probably a hand drill and a vise.....

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the advice, I did as you noted and it works just fine, there is no binding or distortion at all in fact it rotates very smoothly. Now I just need to decide how to do the conduit then my wings will be nearly done.

Cheers