sblack

Well Known Member
i bought new steel aileron brackets for my rv4. They arrived and they are prebent, pilot drilled and even powder coated. If you've only dealt with 1990s kits this is a pleasant shock!

First question, what is the trick to getting the an3 bolts tightened, i mean the ones that hold the brackets to the aileron? There is almost no clearance between the bolt head and the inside of the sidewall of the fitting. Do you grind down a 3/8" socket? Or just use a wrench at an odd angle and turn it 10 deg at a time?

2nd question, do people just paint over the powder coat? Or do you scuff sand it so paint will stick or take the propane torch and melt it off?

I expect these brackets are similar for the 6 and others so I hope somebody has some ideas.

Thanks

Or just use a wrench at an odd angle and turn it 10 deg at a time?
Thanks

I just spent 2 days hunched over in my 6A doing wing spar bolts. No sympathy here. Many were done 15* at a time, which is why it took two days. Get a set of those ratcheting box wrenches. They really help in some of those situations.

Do not use a torch on them! You can scuff and paint over powder coat. Just use red scotchbrite.

+1.

In fact there are places in the RV14 plans that tell you to scuff the powder coating if you plan on painting them (white powder coated hinge brackets is what I'm referring to).