motzg

I'm New Here
The outboard aileron brackets (W414) to the rear spar of the quickbuild wings is a tough fit. The wing rib pushes on the bracket--canting the tip of the bracket inboard. If I would flatten out the radius of the rib (where it meets the rear spar) it might fit square?
I didn't do this to the first wing and the bracket cants inboard and "squeezes" the aileron (puts a side-load on the bearings). Has anyone bent these brackets to get a fit or flattened the rib?

One of my QB wings needed a little tweeking. I drilled out some rivets and reshaped the rib a little to get a better fit.

Roberta

I recently installed the right aileron on my slow build wing of a 9A and had a similiar issue. I believe the 7's mount the same. Left wing not quite done yet. Both the inboard and outboard bracket were slightly canted towards the aileron. After installing the proper washers and spacers to the inboard attach point, I found I needed to pull the top of the outboard bracket about 5/32 outboard to install the proper washers. Looking where the brackets attach to the spare and rib, everything is tight and square. What I did notice is that when the brackets mounted on the wing were stamped out, it put a slight warp in them. The warp in both brackets pretty much adds up to the 5/32. I do have some side load there but have not decided if it is enough to warrent rerivitng or something. Besides, sometimes the cure can cause more damage than the original problem. This is one of those things I'll ask Van's tech the next time I need to call them.

A rib on one slow build wing was sticking out slightly past the rear spar. If I had known it mattered when I was riveting the rib in place, I would have adjusted at that time. Since mine was not far off, it simply took a couple of taps with a hammer on a wood drift to sharpen the rib radius slightly and move the rib web into position.

enlarge the pic here:

http://websites.expercraft.com/rzbill/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=7872

Of course, it depends on the severity. Memory says mine was probably sticking out about 1/16" but that was enough to tip the bracket a long way.