cnpeters

Well Known Member
On attaching my RV-9A outboard aileron bracket, the outer half of the bracket (W-914A) overlaps the outboard wing rib and attaches via 5 rivets. The problem is that I have two jig fastening holes I drilled that conflict with two of these 5 rivet holes, making the edge distance very close. So, I drilled two holes offset and much closer to the center hole, but am worried that this is not acceptable, and the edge distances between these clustered middle three are about 2.5 D, as opposed to the bible's recommended 3X rivet D. In the pics below, I only installed 4 rivets out of 5, and stopped to debate whether to put in the center 5th.
So, options are:
1)To press on and rivet the center hole and move on (my least likely option)
2)Build a doubler plate about 3 inches long that fits inside the ribs
3)Doubler plate plus buy new outboard aileron bracket, since it has too many holes relatively close together
4)Buy a new rib and aileron bracket, and drill the old rib out (ughh, and may cause other damage)
Thanks
img4245qm1.jpg
img4244jy7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm usually all for repairing problems such as this, as opposed to replacing the parts (it's what I do for a living). But around flight controls, I tend to get more conservative. I think the low pitch conditions you're looking at warrant replacing the parts. They're not expensive, drilling out rivets is not that difficult, and if were me, I'd see those low-pitch holes in my sleep. At a minimum, I'd put a doubler on the wing rib, and replace everything else.

Last edited: