sglynn

Well Known Member
Does this tilted aileron bracket assembly need to be redone? I hadn't noticed before but my left wing outboard aileron hinge bracket assembly (W-414) on my RV-7A is tilted in. It is not in alignment with the outboard rib. The aileron still fits on okay and has slight movement back n forth. Has anyone straightened one of these before? Do I need to? If so, how? Even if I remove it, I'm not sure it would go back on any straighter. Looks like maybe the rib is outboard. At the time I installed it I trusted the hole alignments were making it in the position it needed to be. I guess I trusted the match hole technology a bit too much. Ideas appreciated. I haven't done the flap nor installed this completely yet. thanks

Here is a photo of it.
worklog_image_popup.php

Last edited:
I just walked out to the shop to look at my left wing outboard aileron hinge bracket assembly (W-414) on my RV-7A.
My aileron hinge bracket is parallel to the o/s rib. I can't really make out what's going on with your aileron hinge bracket assembly.
Just a hint, Left and right wings are mirrored. Try assessing attach points and alignment, right wing to left wing.
regards,

EDIT: BTW my wings are quick builds.

Last edited:
I just went out to have a look at mine, they are both tilted in a little also. I will see what replys we get.

I just went out to have a look at mine, they are both tilted in a little also. I will see what replys we get.

Even though they are tilted in a little as long as you get unrestricted movement of the ailerons and hit stop on both ends you should be ok.

Its kind of ironic that you would think a flying machine would needs to be 100% perfect in order to fly, but if you spend all your time getting everything absolutely perfect then you would never get the airplane done.

I have seen airplanes come from Cessna, Piper, Diamond, and Beechcraft right out of the factory with problems worse then what you have. Keep in mind, the people building so called certified airplanes, most of them never even knew what an airplane was before they started building them. I was at the Piper Factory when I was getting certified in maintenance on the meridian and the stuff they let out of the factory some people just wouldn't believe.

Also, check with Vans, they may have drilled something wrong or gave you the wrong part. Mistakes happen. We are all human. I'm sure they will set things right, they always do.

Mine too

Mine are tilted also, the worst one being displaced inward about 3/16". Mine is due to misshaped brackets. There is a thread showing how one builder straightened his brackets.
I've decided not to bother since there seems to be no structural downside, and is not that obvious to the eye unless you really look for it.

Bend the Aileron Brackets

Do you have any info on bending the bracket? Van's said, it looks like my rivets on the outboard rib got drilled too far towards trailing edge somehow and that I can probably drill those out, tilt the bracket outboard back to straight, put a doubler inside the rib, redrill those 5 rivets and it will be straight. Lesson learned is make sure these are straight at the time they are drilled. However it does move freely now with about 1/16 of play so maybe nothing needs to be done. I'm waiting for a second response from Van's. thanks

I adjusted mine.

Since the aileron bolt rides in a self aligning bearing, if nothing is hitting or binding, you likely don't need to do anything. That said, I "adjusted" mine just because, well it seemed like the thing to do that day. :rolleyes: I put several layers of high quality masking tape on both sides of the bracket, got out my XXL Crescent wrench, tightened it down snugly on the bracket and bent it into alignment. As you might guess, it's the sheetmetal rib and rear spar that actually bend (ever so slightly), rather than the 1/4" or so bracket. Very easily done, did not require much force.

Since the aileron bolt rides in a self aligning bearing, if nothing is hitting or binding...

I'm less than impressed with the bearings that Van's ships, and will probably upgrade once the time comes for final assembly to something better...and here's why...several times, on my buddy's -8 and on my -7A, we found bearings that bound under almost virtually any kind of side load. They worked fine if the bearing and the pushrod were in perfect alignment, but once they got a little off, they would grind or bind up. That may not happen here, but just make sure it doesn't.

Just my thoughts...

Leave 'em alone.

Both of mine are tilted in, but the ailerons fit just fine. I decided to not bend or correct anything since the ailerons fit without binding. My wings were quickbuild wings too!!!!

Straightened the tilted Aileron Bracket Assembly

Thanks for all your comments, insights, and ideas. I ended up straightening my Aileron Bracket. Van's said it was tilted too much. A little is okay. Plus I noticed a 0.020 gap under the angle. You can see my photos on this redo at this link. It only took a few hours, did no damage and greatly improved the bracket position.

display_log.php

I think the conclusion is that be more aware and take notice of part alignment especially when you are drilling holes where they don't exist. Remember the outboard rivets go thru the rib web and you drill them.

thanks