mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I was working on the bellcranks and their brackets. I cannot see any way to install the long bolt through the brackets without removing them from the spar. In that I understood the instructions to say install and torque them, I am wondering if I missed something somewhere. Is there any way to install the bellcrank without taking the brackets off the spar? Might it not actually be better to remove the brackets and assemble and torque the whole thing on the bench with the rod ends in place. Thoughts?

Also, there was a thread somewhere that I have been unable to find about welding the push rods. Anyone know where that was? Thoughts on weld vs rivet?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV-8, Wings
San Ramon, California

Michael-
You are correct that those bolts need to be in there before you put the top skins on or you'll have to take the whole bellcrank off. You're not the first one to see this problem with the plans, so no worries there.

I think there are other threads on the weld vs. rivet question. Because I had a friend who welds (he's building a scratch built Super Cub), I just had him do it. Enough people had trouble with those long rivets folding over that I took advantage of the opportunity a friend provided. Though the rivets are plenty strong if set well I'm sure, the weld is even stronger, looks fantastic, and it only took about 20 minutes to do both. I suspect a welding shop could do it for just a small charge.

Others will, I'm sure, relate their positive experiences riveting these, so this is all FWIW. Good luck.

I installed those bolts a LONG time ago....but your dilemma sounds familiar - I think I had to remove the brackets from the spar to get them on - I don't recall that presenting any problems, and I'm pretty sure I put the nut on and torqued them in the wing.

Good Building!

Paul

Just did this 2 weeks ago on the left wing. I took the brackets off the spar, assembled the bellcrank to the brackets, then reattached the whole assembly and re-torqued the bracket attachement bolts. Absolutely not a problem.