Chappyd

Well Known Member
Finished going through my new to me wing kit, and I have a question about the attach brackets for the ailerons. They are listed as a unit on the inventory sheet, and had a label with part number on them so I'm assuming Vans assembled them. My question is simply do they all look like this? I would think that the parts would be deburred before assembly and that the gap on the end would invite moisture and grit over time. Any suggestions on how to deburr without getting debris in the bearing?

p1010024cp3.jpg

Mine is a nine.

I'm building a 9, but the aileron bearing comes in pieces and must be built. I do not see any rivets in the picture on your post, are you sure the two pieces are not just stuck together?

Hope to help just need a little more info.

You can run the edges of the assembled part against a sanding disc to make the two parts match perfectly, then deburr the outside edges using a scotchbrite wheel. This method will make the two pieces of aluminum in the bracket look almost like one piece.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll mask off the bearing and sand and deburr. I really don't want to drill out rivets and risk enlarging the holes on a piece that holds control surfaces on