prkaye

Well Known Member
Can the same aileron and flap alignment tool be used for both wings?
The plans don't say whether a second one must be made for the right wing.

It does really help to have two, especially if you can fit both wings at the same time. You will probably need to adjust the size of your aileron travel stops numerous times. It is much easier to do this and to make sure that both ailerons have identical/very close up-down travel if you can lock both in position at the same time. They only cost $3.00 or something like that from Van's, so I just ordered an extra one.

BTW, don't spend too much time trying to align your ailerons now. You'll have the bolts in and out of the belcranks and controls so often when fitting your wings and control systems that you'd might as well just wait.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

They only cost $3.00 or something like that from Van's, so I just ordered an extra one.

Vans sells these?? I don't see it on the webstore.

My plans had me make one out of a long piece of wood (I used alum angle instead), using a wing rib as a template when drilling hte two holes.

Last edited:
prkaye said:
Vans sells these?? I don't see it on the webstore.

My plans had me make one out of a long piece of wood (I used alum angle instead), using a wing rib as a template when drilling hte two holes.
Sorry, Phil. Misunderstood your question. I meant the aileron bellcrank neutral alignment tool. That said, when I was mounting my wings the first time, I really wished I had two of those wing tip angles as well. It was a big pain to try to get one aileron centered and then take it off and go to the other side while still retaining the perfect neutrality of the first. My previous comments about adjusting the aileron stops applies to both types of alignment jigs as well. Again, though, I wouldn't worry much about how things align until you get the wings on the fuselage, especially if you're going to put off your fiberglass tips until the very end. Good luck, though, regardless.

Last edited: