n82rb

Well Known Member
I just bit the bullet and ordered a 10 inch skynav for the 4. anybody that has retro-fit one in a flying 4 have any suggestions as to where and how to mount the ahrs. any pitfalls and any tips that you could throw my way would be most welcome. I don't want to be down during SnF so I will get started right after SnF.

bob burns

RV-4
N82RB

Adhars location

Hi Bob

I installed one in my RV-4 and have pictures of the installation if you're interested.

Mine is install in the tail section just behind the cargo section.

Send me an e-mail at

[email protected]

with your e-mail and I will send you what I have...

Overall it wasn't too hard a job but make sure you use non-ferous material ( I did installed steel nut plate( just didn't pay attention ) initially and it wreck the compass calibration, now held in place with velcro...doesn't move at all )

Gonna miss S&F but will be at Oshkosh this summer..

Good luck with the installation

Bruno

Not flying yet, but

I put mine 2" aft of the rear seat bulkhead between the cutouts for the shoulder belts, mounted with nylon bolts/double nutted to a z-bracket flush riveted to the turtle deck. Fits perfectly, meets the requirements set out in the manual, and simplified tubing and wire runs. Out of town right now, so I can't post pics but I think you get the idea.
Eric

Wherever you mount it, make sure it is on a firm stiff structure, or as much so as possible, and mounted firmly to that structure. As an example, a certified installation of a garmin AHRS module says to mount it on Primary Structure. The goal in that statement is that it is mounted on strong stiff structure, such that it will not be subjected to resonant vibrations which will reduce the accuracy of inertial modules. Although it may work for some folks, I would caution against mounting on velcro. I have designed many certified avionic installations and cannot think of a case where this would was acceptable (except for an ELT that the vendor designed to be retained with a velcro strap system). I know this is not the certified world, but it is good to emulate the certified world if possible. Eric using a nice stiff Z bracket to strengthen a mounting surface is a good example to follow. If you use stainless or brass hardware wave it in front of a compass needle to double check that the needle does not move.