roadrunner20

Well Known Member
Flying to Fort Meyers this weekend, I went to select the alternate tank, the lever just was all slop. No change in tank fuel selection.
I always follow the 1/2 hr > 1 hr alternate switch routine.

Fortunately, it was only a 45 min flight & the wife never noticed.
The selecter handle is designed with a routed circle with 2 set screws to secure the valve stem. The original Van's handle has a circle with flat edge which insures even if you lose the security of the stem screw, it still has the authority to switch tanks.

The fix: The set screw backed out and was no longer to be found.
I replaced the missing set screw with lock-tite and will now include a fuel switch check in my pre-flight.

Aesthetically, the switch is a work of art. But, be aware.
I never felt I was in danger, but it did get my attention.
Not sure whether the instructions recommended lock-tite.

Even the instructions from the manufacturer of the red handle say to lock the setscrew with RED permanent Loctite. Definitely bad news if it backs out.

I had the same handle and I always cringed when I switched tanks.

What you want in your -7A (assuming you have Van's fuel valve installed per plans) is this one. Get part number FUEL VALVE LEVER, not FUEL VALVE LEVER II. It has a D-shaped hole the same as the stock lever. Plus, it's larger and gives you a little more leverage for rotation. I really, really like the new lever.

My personal opinion is the FUEL VALVE LEVER II is not safe. But my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)