kbmannon

Hi folks,

I've searched the archive on this one, and although it's been discussed a few times, I can't seem to find consensus. Maybe my search skills aren't so good (wife's a librarian, I usually leave that stuff to her...)

I've got the order for the finishing kit in, and it'll be a couple of months before it takes up more space in my garage. I'm running low on things to do, since I waited too long to order the kit, and that big top skin is staring me in the face, daring me to rivet it. I have ELT, strobe power supply and pitch servo installed and wired. I've got nav antenna cable and aft strobe wiring run. I've got the static pluming all nice and plumbed. About the only thing more I think I'll need to do back there is install an EFIS magnetometer, and I'll deal with that when the time comes. I'll be installing a sliding canopy.

From what I can tell in the archives, it seems that tippers consensus is to wait until after canopy fitting to rivet down the skin. But sliders don't seem as unified.

So, whadaya all think? Can I head out the the garage tonight and start pounding away, or will I be sitting on my rear watching more Olympics?

Kevin Mannon
Bedford, NH
RV-9A - Finishing kit on order

Mine is riveted.

We went ahead and riveted the rear top skin. There isn't much more to do in the aft section of the plane. I did have to crawl in over the weekend to install the static air lines, but it wasn't too bad. I set up a small fan to blow a little fresh air while working.

Sounds like you can rivet away.

I don't know what "gotcha's" are involved when building a tip-up but I riveted the aft skin in place before starting slider canopy work. I don't see what the the advantage of waiting would be but then there are always more ways than one when it comes to building an RV!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. So, nothing tricky about installing the slider canopy with the aft top skin already riveted in place?

I installed my skin first

and found no problems with the slider fitting. I did have to crawl back in the tailcone to work on the wiring, but it wasn't too bad.

I'd go ahead and rivet it. At that point you should be close to being ready to paint the interior. I did that too before fitting the slider.

Only thing I can think of if you have it is the magnetometer bracket and magnetometer wiring - I put mine (GRT) on the underside of the top skin rib, and it would have been a lot easier before the top skin went on.

Allan