bill v

Well Known Member
when fitting the vertical stablizer is there much up and down adjustment? the lower i can put the vs the better to be sure of edge distances becouse the 409 weldment only has one place for the attachment bolts but the vs has more forgiveness for edge distances. also is there room to drill the three attachment bolts from the inside with a 90 degree drill through the inspection holes in the side? want to do this then i control the edge distance on the one that is the least forgiving

read all the post on this and i have similar problems with f-712 needing shims between it and the weldment for the tail wheel. but after doing more checking i relized its not the weldment that is off but f-712 has a crown in it the bottom bolt will be tight because of the crown is the greatess at this spot but f-712 pulls away were the weldment is flat for the other two bolts. it would be better to not put in a shim and let the bolts pull f-712 flat but if i drill for the top bolts with a gap the gap will fill with shavings and that seems wrong as there will be no way to get them out. As of now i feel the best is to put in shims and leave the crown in f-712 shimms would be .032 thsi would cause the vs to be bolting to fuslage with a crown in it but i see this as better then having shvings between the parts. thoughts?