apatti

Well Known Member
I was talking with fellow builder Bill about mounting the empenage the other day and he said that there was somewhere (he couldn't remember exactly where) you had to be careful not to drill too close to the angle in the longeron. Well, I think I found it...

I drilled the the AN3 bolt holes for the aft elevator stop too close and can't get a washer or nut on the bolt. I am thinking about re-making (for the 4th time) the aft elevator stop to give me more space forward along the longeron to drill another pair of bolt holes. Instead of being about 7/16" from the aft end of the elevator stop the bolts will likely be about 14/16" (7/8") from the aft end of the elevator stop. Will this be a problem? This angle is also connected to the vertical stab. So, I am a little concerned with the bolts being farther away than specified. I have even considered also getting a couple of -6 CherryMax rivets and putting them in the 3/16" holes that were drilled too close. Am I over-analyzing???

Tony,

I think I understand your issue, but I'm not 100% sure.

I ran into a similar issue with my -10 and actually filed down the edge of the washer to fit. Then primed it so it wouldn't rust.

Do you think you have enough room to do that?

Phil

Tony, sorry I didn't remember in time. I have some of the hot nuts the writer above mentioned if you want to go that route. I remember I had to file the washers some to get a fit. Best regards, Bill

If I understand it correctly, I believe your fellow builder Bill was warning you about a different thing. I believe he is talking about drilling the front portion of the HS to the longerons. The longerons are (if I am not mistaking) 3/4" angle and you need to hit them smack in the middle to get the proper edge distance and still be able to put the washer/nut on.

As for your elevator stop, that is another angle that support the VS and acts as the elevator stop. The best way (or at least the way I did it) mount the angle, before triming much, so it is a good fit for the VS, then start filing it (the side that acts as a stop) till you get the proper max elevator movement. The dimensions in the drawing is/can not be accurate as the elevator horns are not perfectly matched. Chances are that your elevator horns are not meeting exactly when both elevator is in a neutral position.

I know what you are talking about as I just mounted my tail group last week. I had to "pull" the hole slightly towards the middle to get a washer and nut on. I wish I had waited to drill the elevator stop when I installed it. The left side came out perfect though.
Rick Maury
RV-7
Tail is on

I talked with Van's this morning. They suggested grinding down one side of the head of a bolt and inserting it up through the hole. I am working this approach today. I drilled out the -3 rivets that are in the way and will try installing the bolts later today.

Bavafa, I actually got lucky on the HS front spar holes. I think that made me over-confident when it came to the much easier aft elevator stop. I sure would feel more comfortable with some more edge distance margin, though.

Thanks for all the suggestions.