Berchmans

Well Known Member
I am mounting the battery in the aft position of the 8 I am building and have been busy pulling lots of wiring. My question is how have people attached the ground cable to the airframe in the aft position. I don't see anything in the plans on the actual connection.

Ground

I would not drill a hole large enough for a -3 bolt in the stiffener/longeron.

I riveted a tab on the side longeron made from a small piece of aluminum something like two inches wide and two inches in length x 3/16 thick. I shaped it in a triangular shape and installed a -3 nut plate on the tab prior to riveting it to the longeron.

We drilled the large hole / nutplate / bolt in the Battery tray itself.

Then cleaned off the battery tray / longeron faces and fasteners for good metal to metal contact. Once that was attached then sealed the joints with Pro-Seal / paint.

Has worked well for 4+years...

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV8tors

Aft Grounding

Andy, Pat,...thanks for the replies...I was thinking of simply bolting to the tray as an option. I have installed all 4 nut plates on the tray that could be used to mount solenoids but since there will only be one solenoid back there this frees up a couple locations to land the grounding cable...electrically I can't see where this would not suffice...