RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have OP-11 that came with the electrical wire kit Van's sells. My problem is that is has you run the cable from the BATT to starter relay (on firewall) up the center on the left floor rib, the problem I see is finding a path after you are forward of the spar, it needs to go under the left console and that is where all of the fuel lines run and the idler arm for the rear seat rudder pedals. This seems like a bad place for this wire, and it will be tough to anchor it so it does not rub on anything. I am thinking of running it up the right side but not sure if this would cause issues. I will have my switch panel just above where the big cable would run.

Anyone with an aft mounted battery find a solution to this, how does running up right side work out with connecting to starter? Thank you in advance.

Rear battery wire run

I just completed this about a month ago. I shielded my wire with some flexible convoluted tubing forward of the wing spar. Looks like this http://cableorganizer.com/nylon-wireloom/
I feel pretty comfortable the convoluted tubing will shield the primary positive wire from rubbing against the fuel lines or anything else. Of course its condition check is one more item to add to the annual inspection!

Albert Thomas
N880AT QB
150+ hours of wiring in 18 months now with still lots to go!

left side is the way to go per the drawing. As with any wire or cable, any type of outer jacket whether tough spiral wrap or slit hose will provide the extra protection you need where things get 'busy' with the routing.

Mike
On my 8A I closed off the forward baggage compt. well area and made that into a kind of electrical compartment. The big wire from the battery runs up the right side to the start relay mounted in there.

If you do run the battery wire under the floor (either side) just be careful to clamp it away from the aileron pushrods. They move pretty low at full deflection. The area of concern is at the very bottom of this picture.

roll1.jpg

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB