dougweil

Well Known Member
Hi all:

I know this has been addressed before but I would like some opinions from AFS users. I am working on my -7 QB fuselage and while it is relatively open, I want to install a mount for the AFS magnetometer. I have seen some configurations but I'd like to get some more opinions. I have AFS' installation manual which states keeping the unit 24 inches away from steel, nav and strobe wires, etc. Photos would be nice also.

Thanks

Here is my RV 7

Doug.

I have a Garmin 430 waas antenna mounted on the top of the fuselage behind the slider, the strobe power supply mounted with Vans mounting kit. I have yet to see any problems from outside influences.

Good luck.
David
http://i35.tinypic.com/wufi4z.jpg

Last edited:
Dual AFS Magnetometer Install

Doug,

Here's how I did it. This installation allows for dual AFS magnetometer installation (side-by-side). I'm not flying yet so take it for what it's worth (about 2 cents):

3028879248_173912f1b9_o.jpg

3028879286_0b7fcab839_o.jpg

3028879316_29fca06fa2_o.jpg

By the way, I have a slider canopy, and this install places the magnetometer(s) further aft than the above example that David provided- away from the steel canopy frame when it is in the open position. For a tip-up I would probably install it where David did, especially on a quick-build fuselage where the rear top skin is already installed. The way I installed the mount, access is pretty good by removing the empennage fairing and reaching through the lightening holes.

Last edited:
Same here..

Hi.

I've also placed the magnetometer in the same place: in front of the bulkhead behind the baggage area.

Sees to work well.

PS: remember non-magnetic hardware.

Might want to check....

.... with a magnet, right up against the baggage bulkhead. In my 7A with a Dynon D10, I mounted in a similar place. Seems my wife's purse always ends up on top of the baggage when we travel and on more than one occasion the magnet latch or her cell phone has caused a different magnetic north :)... Interesting the first time or two it happens.

Just something to be aware of.

Doug