Norman

I am a newcomer to the AFS EFIS, and I need some help to understand a few things. The fit is AFS4500, GNS430W and Digiflight II VSGV all connected via ARINC as per AFS instructions. All tests as AFS manual have been successfully carried out. If it makes any difference I am in Europe and using EGNOS, the 430 is confirming this with the ?D?s on the bars, on the Satellite page.

Flight Director ? Is this only useful to me when controlling the Auto Pilot from the EFIS?

Flight Path Marker ? When would I benefit from this?

RNAV Approaches ? If I activate a RNAV procedure and activate the last leg FAF to runway, I would expect the Glide Slope to appear. At least that?s what happens on an Avidyne, I can spoof an extended GS 20 miles out, albeit at 6000ft. When does the GS appear on the AFS?

Is the ?ARM?ing of V or L only necessary if using AP approaches?

AGL has ?G1? after it, what does it stand for?

Many thanks for any help.
Norman

Do you have a 430 or 430W?
I believe that you have to have a 430W to get a glide slope in GPS mode.

Flight Director – Is this only useful to me when controlling the Auto Pilot from the EFIS?.

The flight director will show you where you should be flying, pitch and roll. It can be controlled from the EFIS bugs, GPS, or NAV.

Flight Path Marker – When would I benefit from this?

The flight path marker shows where the plane is actually going, not where it is pointed. If the plane is pitched up 20 deg and you are in a down draft or sinking it will show down on the screen. If you hold the flight path marker on the white zero pitch line (horizon) in a turn you will maintain level. If you place the flight path marker on the runway on the SV screen the plane will end up on the runway. If there is a wind from the right the FP marker will be on the left and you should be pointed to the right.

RNAV Approaches – If I activate a RNAV procedure and activate the last leg FAF to runway, I would expect the Glide Slope to appear. At least that’s what happens on an Avidyne, I can spoof an extended GS 20 miles out, albeit at 6000ft. When does the GS appear on the AFS?

If you have it wired and configured correctly and have the Nav source CRS set to GNAV1 it should appear any time the 430W is sending it. When the 430W is turned on the second page is the test page, in the test page you should see the CDI and glide slope on the EFIS.

1. If your NAV CRS choice is GPS1 and not GNAV1 you have it configured wrong.

2. Make sure that the 430w is not in VLOC mode when it turns on. In VLOC you are using the nav side.

Have you tried this document?
http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Forum2/showthread.php?124-Trouble-Shooting-EFIS-AP-430W-ARINC-Problems

Is the ‘ARM’ing of V or L only necessary if using AP approaches?

It only has an effect on the AP and flight director.

AGL has ‘G1’ after it, what does it stand for?
GPS 1, it means that it is using GPS 1 as the SV altitude source.

G1 = GPS 1
G2 = GPS 2
B1 = Baro

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Last edited:
Rob - thanks and all configured correctly.

Chuck also thanks, perhaps I phrased my question inappropriately, or should have split it. I posted here because I was hoping to get a range of opinions from users of the AFS. I find the AFS forum very good but acts more like a support forum.

Does anybody use the Flight Path Marker? Do you use the Flight Director? what situations do you find them useful and when not. At the moment I have them off, but when I get up to speed I will try them.
Regards
Norman

hi norman,

we both use the flight path marker and the flight director.
and we're only VFR ;-)

no seriously, the flight path marker / velocity vector is a really nice feature that gives you all kinds of clues. it's very easy to visualise wind effects for instance (besides the wind vector display)
also, you can use it in a level off type situation. point your nose onto the horizon, no climb no descent.
and in theory, you could point the marker onto the threshold of your synthetic vision runway and arrive in the slot. more on that later though.

the flight director, more than actually using it to fly accordingly yet manually controlled (i fly either on autopilot AND fd, or then completely disregard it and fly as i wish) is nice for mode annunciation. it changes colors in all kinds of combinations, which is a good clue as to which mode you are in (as the flight mode annunciation still needs some development improvements).

so both the FPV and the FD are very useful and welcome features.
so is the mapping and terrain warning function (plan view).

about the only thing i find to be mostly a gimmick so far is synthetic vision.
maybe that will change with highway in the sky an future updates, but as of now it's more a show of what can be done and visual distraction to the eye than actually much additional value IMHO. of course it gets you bragging rights, is state of the art, also a bit of eye candy and a feature one has to have in the marketplace. this critique is not aimed at the AFS version of it but is more generic.
of course it is nice to see a runway you're approaching with the numbers on the threshold, maybe more so when shooting ifr approaches. but terrain resolution (at least in our part of the world) is just not dense enough to actually refer to the outside world. also, the 3d/spatial orientation is not as good as in a flight simulator for instance. (e.g. judging distances and altitudes only based on the SV)
and this is not AFS-specific, it applies to pretty much all the SV implementations i've seen. even garmin svt. they're just not at the level where one could navigate by primary means of "virtual visual reference" yet. (not even considering the traffic/see and avoid topic.)

rgds,
bernie

SV and beyond...

IMHO and respectfully here is my take on SV - I feel NO airplane should be without SV(or TIS,TCAS) in this day and age. I also feel many manufacturers have compromised safety by not aggressively adding SV. (I'm talking the certified manufacturers, not our great experimental manufacturers! And yes, I realize certification takes time.....another point for the experimental side!)

CFIT is one of the biggest causes of aircraft accidents and has caught some of the most qualified aviators.

SV, EVS, GPS, IPAD's, preflight web planning tools all great technology and should be embraced not feared.

I do understand VFR flying, no electrical system airplane - so I am not trying to start a debate. But, since this is an RV forum and these airplanes are really a high performance single and most builders or buyers these days are loading up with high tech avionics, I think you should learn to use all the tools at your
disposal.

And yes, I use the FD on every flight along with SV, it's great when towers pop up, other runways enroute to show emer landing sites, the list goes on.

Best regards,

I am pleasantly impressed with SV. Living in Arizona with a lot of terrain it helps in keeping us comfortable at a proper altitude when it seems natural to climb a little higher. While most EFIS systems probably have this I am very pleased with the AFS new updated color coded display. It helps in keeping the passenger, mostly my wife, much more comfortable when flying a lower altitudes. Larry

just to make it clear, we are rave about the AFS efis choice.
and i'm all for new technology, and terrain awareness systems are obviously great news.
all i'm saying is, that it doesn't necesserily needs to be in the 3d form, 2d with the right presentation can be just as efficient.

rgds,
bernie

SV

I like the SV on our 4500. I was a little disappointed at first because most of the time there is nothing much to see at altitude where we spend most of our flying time. In other words the pictures were not as pretty as the ads. Don't they all show approaching mountains on the other side of water. I live in fairly flat country.

But here I think are the benefits:
1. When you NEED it. Like on an IFR approach in a valley. It will be worth every penny.
2. Nice being able to see the towers when I leave my private airstrip.
3. Nice to see the runway on an IFR approach and have the flight path marker suggest that I will be on the runway.

Maxwell

Update

I have now successfully flown a RNAV approach in the UK. It was gin clear and very bumpy, my IR instructor in the right seat, and me under the hood. It was only a LNAV+V as there are no LPV's here.
The original problem I had, was expecting the GS Instrument to appear on the EFIS whenever I had a RNAV procedure activated. I understand it appears when the Garmin sends it. I still don't understand the 430's logic, but think it maybe something to do with the angle from the runway. I can get it on the ground 20nm from the runway but it disappears after take off, but it always appears well before you need it. Anyone know Garmins' logic?

SV I like and now I'm also using the Flight Path Marker.

Thanks for all the replies, it has helped.
Norman
RV9