BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have a PS8000B audio panel installed and now installing an AFS AOA. I would like to hook up the AOA audio so that I get the aural warnings. I am wondering about the easiest and best method.

The 8000 came with a audio input which I have already wired for my IPOD and works works nicely. The AOA instructions say that you can wire it to one of the headset outputs at the plug end. It looks like I could run a shielded wire(?) set (hi,lo, grd) to the headset plug or imput it into the IPOD jack which cuts out during transmissions/receives.

They say in the instructions:

"standard cable is provided and pre-wired at the 25 pin
Dsub end. The other end of the harness is wild. Note
Appendix B that describes the Dsub25 pin connects to be
used in the following instructions. Ring out the wiring
harness now.
The harness is wired for a 560-ohm audio output that
allows you to match the output impedance of the AOA to
standard aircraft headphone, audio panel and intercom
audio devices.
Direct wiring to non amplified standard 26-ohm cockpit
loud speaker will require the 26-ohm audio output and a
ground (audio low). This will require the addition of a
two conductor shielded cable not supplied."

I am assuming that I would use the 560 output no matter which direction I went.

Also, did anyone mount the Sprort LED indicators on the glareshield instead of the panel? Would like to see pictures if possible of the glareshield mount.

Comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Bill S
7a finishing

Last edited:
I have a PS8000B audio panel installed and now installing an AFS AOA. I would like to hook up the AOA audio so that I get the aural warnings. I am wondering about the easiest and best method.

The 8000 came with a audio input which I have already wired for my IPOD and works works nicely. The AOA instructions say that you can wire it to one of the headset outputs at the plug end. It looks like I could run a shielded wire(?) set (hi,lo, grd) to the headset plug or imput it into the IPOD jack which cuts out during transmissions/receives.

They say in the instructions:

"standard cable is provided and pre-wired at the 25 pin
Dsub end. The other end of the harness is wild. Note
Appendix B that describes the Dsub25 pin connects to be
used in the following instructions. Ring out the wiring
harness now.
The harness is wired for a 560-ohm audio output that
allows you to match the output impedance of the AOA to
standard aircraft headphone, audio panel and intercom
audio devices.
Direct wiring to non amplified standard 26-ohm cockpit
loud speaker will require the 26-ohm audio output and a
ground (audio low). This will require the addition of a
two conductor shielded cable not supplied."

I am assuming that I would use the 560 output no matter which direction I went.

Also, did anyone mount the Sprort LED indicators on the glareshield instead of the panel? Would like to see pictures if possible of the glareshield mount.

Comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Bill S
7a finishing

Bill,

Couple of things.

a) you should have wired your ipod to the "music" input on the 8000 and there should be 2 of them. most likely you'll want #1, but read the manual on intercomm functions and muting, etc.

b) all other avionics warnings will need to be wired to the "unswitched inputs". Now this is where the fun sets in, If you have the AOA, and say EFIS, or Traffic from a 330, or other auditory warning tones that you want to hear, you'll need to figure out the right resistors to use so you balance all the levels as you'll most likely only have one or maybe 2 unswitched inputs on the 8000. Or you can use the device that was posted here a couple of weeks by Vern Little that is a MUX just for this task.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
Thanks for the plug.

Here's the link to my website with the audio mixer/amp: www.vx-aviation.com.

This has proven to be very popular, and until Sept. 30th I am donating a percentange of net proceeds to VAF for every unit sold of the AMX-2A, ASX-2A and AL-1A.

Thanks, Vern