AntiGravity

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

just a quick question to those that may have some experience with AoA and/or the AFS EFIS systems. I'm building my fuse and starting to think about things that need to go inside there. I was planning an AoA Pro and have the wing kit already installed in the right wing.

Originally I was going to go with the standalone AoA Pro indictor/display. However, I also plan on using the AF3400 EFIS and that has the AoA built into that too. I think I still like the idea of a separate indicator right up high near the glareshield. You guys got any thoughts? The NZ$ is pretty good right now, and that tempts me to order the standard AoA 'B' kit (the fuselage install kit, display, etc). Anyone here think the EFIS display better/worse/easier/etc than the standalone display?

Thanks for any comments and opinions...

Hello, Jeff

I have the standard Pro and have not used the indicator on the screen.
My one sided view is the being separate and high in my panel means that I will be looking outside the window more. My landing scan is outside with an quick glance to the AOA during my approach.

Kent

Exactly!

Hi Kent,

that was exactly my thinking. And not only that, but if the EFIS went belly then I'd still have my backup airspeed guage and AoA. I also thought the separate display would be more 'visible', not lost in the potential clutter of the EFIS display. I suspect I could save the $1200 it would cost for the remainder of the 'B' kit (inc shipping to NZ, & tax; ouch!) if I did just the EFIS thing. I don't really mind the extra money, but want to make sure its the 'right' choice! (somewhat subjective, I know)

I wonder if you could have both displays (although only one should provide aural warnings to avoid confusion)?

Jeff, I am sure it would work

It is just a matter of routing the tubing from the Pro-computer over to the 3400. Don't connect the audio out wire from the pro to the audio panel.
There is plenty of tubing in the kit, but you would need two tee fittings to split the tubes.

Where in NZ are you?

[edit] Just use google to check it out. Just south of Auckland. Boy would I love to fly around your country sometime.

Kent

Last edited:
NZ scenery rocks

Hi Kent.

Thanks for that: I'll look at doing that.

Yes, NZ scenery ROCKS! I'm from the UK and hills over here would be classed as mountains back home. I don't really fly yet, though I do skydive a lot. My wife and I can't wait until the RV is done: we intend to take a month off work and fly around NZ, check everything out. The South Island is especially cool and I'd move there tomorrow if Jackie agreed to it! Once we have a couple of hundred hours or more we the want to take 3 months off and fly over to Australia and check that out too.

Speaking of Google (more specifically, Google Earth)...

Te Kowhai airfield, just outside Hamilton, where I hope to base the -8.
Also home of Micro Aviation, buildings of the Bantam B22 microlight.
(That's an old image - there's way more hangars now!)
Lat 37?44'44.38"S
Long 175? 9'31.02"E

Mercer Airfield - skydiving drop zone where I jump AFF and Tandem
Lat 37?15'32.27"S
Long 175? 6'43.71"E

Hamilton Int'l Airport (in case its dark when I fly home one night!)
Lat 37?51'58.55"S
Long 175?19'56.91"E

Motueka Airfield, home of Skydive Abel Tasman, and host of the annual Good Vibes skydiving boogie each August, so guess where I'll be for four days in a couple of weeks time! :)
Lat 41? 7'25.15"S
Long 172?59'34.31"E

Cheers,