Gonzo24

Well Known Member
ordered the new 5600 from AFS recently and just curious if anyone else is planning one for their 7? I am blown away by the features of this EFIS with the hi res, wx, charts, expanded airport data, engine monitor, etc.
The panel so far is a 5600 primary on left. Dynon D-60 right side for back up and for my son to fly with. Was thinking of another 5600 way down the road for the right side but the piggy bank has to recover first.

who else is heading down the same path?

The rest of the panel is garmin 650 with remote transponder, PSE PAR 100EX, AF - Pilot AP.

Can't say enough about working with Stark Avionics and AFS at this point. Really good folks.

ordered the new 5600 from AFS recently and just curious if anyone else is planning one for their 7? I am blown away by the features of this EFIS with the hi res, wx, charts, expanded airport data, engine monitor, etc.
The panel so far is a 5600 primary on left. Dynon D-60 right side for back up and for my son to fly with. Was thinking of another 5600 way down the road for the right side but the piggy bank has to recover first.

who else is heading down the same path?

The rest of the panel is garmin 650 with remote transponder, PSE PAR 100EX, AF - Pilot AP.

Can't say enough about working with Stark Avionics and AFS at this point. Really good folks.

I'm not personally (we already fly behind AFS equipment), but we do have more than a dozen of them on confirmed order for all sorts of RV's (and other planes as well)! We even have two nearly finished panels here with a blank hole in it waiting for the EFISes which are forthcoming. Don't forget the option of the AF-5500 which gives you some more creative flexibility regarding space on the panels of 6/7/9's...

Overall

5500's

Dual 5500's for me in the new 7. I wanted the features of the 5600 but don't like those big screens so close. I feel like I'm sitting in the front row of the theater. The 8.4 inch screens, to me, are the perfect size for this size of plane.

The features are incredible. Glad I am going this route.

side by side?

Dual 5500's for me in the new 7. I wanted the features of the 5600 but don't like those big screens so close. I feel like I'm sitting in the front row of the theater. The 8.4 inch screens, to me, are the perfect size for this size of plane.

The features are incredible. Glad I am going this route.

Darwin,

Are you mounting the 5500's side by side and moving the radio stack off center to the right... or centering the radio stack? either way will be very nice.

I was pretty set on going AFS, but they torqued me off pretty good this year at Oshkosh with their $400/yr NACO plate subscription. The plates are free from the government!

[ed. text here that wasn't cool removed by me. dr].

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a reason for that charge

Ian,
In all fairness, I think that they charge for the plates because they are geo-referenced. AFS has to do some serious programming mojo to make that happen.
Rob Hickman is a great RV guy and runs a great company. While I am hoping that their prices come down after the Garmin price reductions, they are certainly not unreasonable.

I was pretty set on going AFS, but they torqued me off pretty good this year at Oshkosh with their $400/yr NACO plate subscription. The plates are free from the government!

I guess AFS has decided that they're big enough that they can start throwing themselves around as if they were Garmin. Oh well... the GRT stuff isn't as pretty, but at least the free data doesn't cost money.

We are not using the ?FREE? plates from the government we are purchasing and using Geo-Referenced approach plates from Seattle Avionics. All of the approach plates, as well as the larger airport diagrams, are geo-referenced. Currently, it takes a lot of work each month to build, test, verify and deliver the Geo-referenced data. We looked at using the free plates when we developed the system and we decided that it was better to provide a solution that increased safety at a reasonable cost. Once you have flown IFR we Geo-referenced approach plates, with their increased situational awareness, you will not want to go back. Another major benefit of having the plates Geo-Referenced is that we are able to draw the traffic on the approach plate.

Having your aircraft location displayed on the airport diagram makes taxing at large airports far safer and less confusing. After having the larger airport diagrams we started looking for a solution to provide them for all US airports, for which we are about to release a solution.

Advanced Flight Systems Now the First Avionics Manufacturer to Enable Geo Referenced Airport Diagrams from Flight Guide and Seattle Avionics
Broadest Coverage of Nearly 5,000 U.S. Airports - Easily and Affordably Available

Advanced Flight Systems, a leading provider of avionics systems for experimental aircraft, today announced it has expanded its agreement with Seattle Avionics to include new support for Geo Referenced Flight Guide Airport Diagrams. Pilots using Advanced Flight Systems products with this new capability will benefit from enhanced situational awareness at essentially every airport in the U.S where they are likely to operate.
Advanced Flight Systems had already been offering for its products, support for Seattle Avionics Chart Data electronic flight charting, which provides geo-referenced enroute VFR and IFR charts, approach and departure procedure diagrams, and FAA Airport Diagrams. The FAA Airport Diagrams cover approximately 700 U.S. airports with geo referenced charts of varying degrees of detail.

Today?s news dramatically expands the number of airports featured with geo referenced diagrams to nearly 5,000, and enhances the level of fidelity and useful details about each airport. Seattle Avionics provides the geo referencing technology and the ongoing licensing and update process for the Geo Referenced Flight Guide Airport Diagrams
Flight Guide, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary and is the nation?s leading VFR airport guide, has long been available in print form and more recently has become available in electronic format for PCs and handheld devices. This agreement marks the first time Flight Guide?s airport diagrams are to be integrated with and enabled for use on an aircraft?s built-in avionics glass cockpit display system with geo referencing to show the aircraft?s position on the diagram in real time, thus enhancing the pilot?s situational awareness and improving safety by reducing the risk of runway incursions.

Geo Referenced Flight Guide Diagrams will be offered for an annual subscription price of $79.00, with updates available every 28 days and coverage for all ~5,000 airports. Customers who have the S-series of CPU units from Advanced Flight Systems will be able to take advantage of this new offering. The S-series includes the AF-3400, AF-3500, AF-4500 and new AF-5000 glass cockpit systems from Advanced Flight Systems. The subscription and data update process is easy, automatic and familiar, as it is the same process Seattle Avionics is already providing for Advanced Flight Systems other Chart Data users.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Me too

I recently ordered a 5600 and a 5500 (saving $$ and a spot for a copilot 5500) for my RV-10 after much research, talking to other pilots, talking to avionics companies like Aerotronics and Stein, visiting Rob at his shop, and comparing features and prices. The ONLY negative I can even come up with is their overly optimistic delivery promises, but I'm learning that virtually all the experimental EFIS companies have the same malady to some degree (except Garmin). Since their latest delivery dates fit within my required time frame, I decided to go with them. I guess my view is that you don't want them to deliver a new product if it's not ready, and if their time frame doesn't fit yours, buy another EFIS.

One point that was made to me by an AFS fan is that Rob FLIES HIS OWN STUFF. In other words, he puts his equipment in his plane(s) and flies behind it A LOT, thus being able to make changes that are helpful to the pilot - on very short time frames. I've even heard that if you call him with a good idea for an upgrade/change/debug, he'll make the change and send it out pronto. I don't know of any other EFIS manufacturer for which you can say the same things.

I'm like anyone else who doesn't like to rack up too many monthly subscriptions, but considering what you get for $33/month, I think the georeferenced charts/taxi diagrams are a great deal. I'm sure you can opt out of the subscription if you don't want that feature and use paper plates.

My $0.02.

Last edited:
Not only does Rob fly his own stuff, he has others fly it, too, so that even minor bugs/annoyances are caught before production release. And I think he knows most of his customers by first name! I often wonder if we should all take up a collection to make sure someone is driving him safely to and from work each day. :)

Vic

AFS 5x00

ordered the new 5600 from AFS recently and just curious if anyone else is planning one for their 7?

My panel will definitely be designed around either a 5600 or a 5500. The only question is which of the two, and that I'll determine later this year as I get into the detailed panel design.

The level of capability that is now in these systems, and continues to increase, really is quite impressive, as is the level of refinement worthy of a mature product. Those are competing interests, and I think AFS has done a very good job of balancing the two.

Like the photo

Darwin,

Are you mounting the 5500's side by side and moving the radio stack off center to the right... or centering the radio stack? either way will be very nice.

The panel will be almost exactly like this one. The only real difference is I'm using the VPX so there will be no circuit breakers on the right side. Also going to use the TruTrak Gemini so there will only be one back up instrument on the left side. Oh yeah, a Garmin 650 is replacing the 430:D

This panel is a custom lay up by Chris Sands. A few other little details are planned:rolleyes:

wrl4pl.jpg
[/IMG]

The panel will be almost exactly like this one. The only real difference is I'm using the VPX so there will be no circuit breakers on the right side. Also going to use the TruTrak Gemini so there will only be one back up instrument on the left side. Oh yeah, a Garmin 650 is replacing the 430:D

This panel is a custom lay up by Chris Sands. A few other little details are planned:rolleyes:

wrl4pl.jpg
[/IMG]

Gorgeous panel! Very fluid, logical layout. The custom raised center section and modular nature are very nice. I haven't seen the custom fiber panel used in a tip up like this. thanks for the lead. I will be placing my switches above the throttle area so the co-pilot (my son) can get to them also. Using the remote transponder with the 650 and PSE PAR100EX audio panel will vacate area for these.

I have been reading a great deal about the VPX. I already have much of the Aerolectric fuse architecture in place as I did on the 7A. It served me well on that ship so I will probably stay the course here. Great utility with the VPX though.

It is amazing how much the technology has grown for our garage built ships in just the last few years. I used a Dynon D10A on the last plane and thought it would be hard to top that. We are a truly spoiled bunch! :)

Other info

The custom panel is one that Chris lays up himself. What you can't see is the the slight angle of the radio stack toward the pilot. Plenty visible from the right seat. Everything flows extremely smoothly.

I already have a new Garmin 330S transponder so I won't be using the remote module. Also planning the new PSE audio plane with Blue Tooth. Panel space is not too much of an issue with this set up. Especially adding the Gemini and no circuit breakers!!!