Theo G.

I'm New Here
I'm building the panel for my RV-6, and I'd like to put in the AFS 5600 and a Garmin 695.

I can see that the 5600 will be a tight fit. Has anyone else shoehorned a 5600 into an RV-6?

Can you share any thoughts as to why this EFIS or EFIS/GPS combo may be a good or bad idea?

I'm a rookie just trying to flesh out and validate my thoughts & ideas... Thanks in advance for your time.

EDIT: Okay it looks like the 5600 is not yet available, so that makes me a knuckehead for asking if anyone's put one in an RV-6. Still, if anyone has any AFS EFIS with a Garmin 695/696, I'd really like to hear about your experiences.

Last edited:
I'm too planing two AFS3400 and a Garmin 695 GPS

Hello Theo

I'm planing two AFS 3400 (one as EFIS and one as EMS) thogether with an Garmin 695 GPS.

I'm not yet in the situation where I can help or answering, maybe someone else have allready this setup.

The 695 is a 696 without the XM function (not working in europe)

Regards Dominik

Why not just go with two 4500's? They are the perfect size for the 6/7/8/9 series. My neighbor is putting a 5600 in his 7. The panel is done awaiting the screen. Prior to that, he had a Blue Mountain EFIS :(. I sat in it with this screen and it was like sitting in the front row at the movies. Too big, just my opinion.

The 5600 will fit but there isn't much extra room.

I thought I heard the 395/6, 495/6 and 695/6 had been discontinued. Could be wrong.

4500 & 696

I have the AFS 4500 & Garmin 696 and really like that combination. I think two 4500's in my -9 would have pushed the radio stack too far right or a second EFIS on the far right would be too far away. If you go with only one EFIS then you I think you get too much info on a single screen. If you had a bigger panel like a -10 then two EFIS's would be great. You need to have a GPS anyway and the 696 is a great screen and easy to navigate. When I'm flying the EFIS always shows my primary insturments and engine isntruments as intended. Then I can flip around on the 696 screen as much as I want for airports, map, XM and weather data without losing sight of the important primary and engine instruments on the EFIS. I have a 430W in the radio stack but the GPS in it will seldom get used for VFR because the screen sucks in comparison.

I've flown enough time in the right seat in a mate's RV-7 with an EFIS only on the left to know that I wanted good EFIS visibility to both seats in my -7.

I didn't have the 'stack too far right' problem in the panel I've built as I went for 2.25" radios and transponder and put them in a row under the right AF4500. To do this I did have to make my own 1.5" deeper panel. I have 2.25" VSI, ADI, AP under the left AF4500.

My 695 is in an AirGizmo mount which is on the panel centre line. The AF4500's are either side of the mount with about an inch spacing between them.