Larco

Well Known Member
I now have 4500's and am happy, But-------the AFS 5400T upgrade looks inviting. So I would appreciate any input from anyone that may have done this. If an email would work better for a response please send to [email protected] . The ADSB traffic display seems impressive with the distance markers shown in the picture.
I hope to get a good look at Copperstate as well. Thanks, Larry

I have played with them at the airshows and they are nice. One of the things I liked a lot was the ease of changing pages to the map. One swipe right to left and you have the small map. Another swipe and voila' full screen map. Lots of other neat features at you literal fingertips also. I am tempted but have not yet pulled the trigger on making the change. Vic Syracuse has made the change and likes them a lot. He may chime in as well.

It may not be a "must have". It sure is a want to have though.

Last edited:
5400T - Ease

There are several less obvious features with the AFS 5000 series ...

First, depth of device .. it's about 3" vs 6 - 8" (AFS4000) .. installation & removal easier than the AFS4000 series.

Second, remove / replace .. four screws & it's out .. removing the connectors is straightforward. Access behind the panel is quick.

Third, a faster & more capable processor: boots quicker, improved capabilities (e.g., touch), & better graphics (e.g., hi-res terrain).

Fourth, denser screen real estate .. more viewable in the same space (may hinder the eyesight challenged!).

Fifth, the new screens render better in direct sunlight (visibility is better / glare is less).

Sixth, additional capabilities are added regularly, e.g., going to hi-res terrain.

These observations are based on my 5600T/5500T series experience.

AFS' marketing literature (see website) provides an expanded list that covers the range of their offering.

Yes!

I really like them and find them much easier to use when challenged with a high workload, like when in actual IMC. It is much more intuitive to change things like the BARO or Altitude, or minimums by just touching the item you need to change and it pops up.
They are very well thought out.
But don't think about cleaning the screens in flight because you are bored. :) Cleaning the screens now needs to be a part of the preflight.
My frustration now is that I have the 4500 in my Kitfox and when I fly it I keep punching at the screen to no avail!

Vic

I have been thinking about making the upgrade from 4500 to 5400 as well. Is it plug and play? Unplug wire harness from old unit, plug into new unit and finished? If so, that would make it a snap.

Just a few wiring changes

There are just a couple of wiring changes that you make at the small connector that plugs into the back of the screen. Not much work at all.

Vic

Thanks for the info everyone. I think seeing and touching one might be the next step. Hopefully at Copperstate

Upgrade Pricing

Bob that's true on the upgrade (return the 4500). However, if Tom is willing to pay more for the 4500 than the upgrade pricing discount, perhaps a deal can be valuable for all parties ... Like a baseball three team trade!

Frankly, I've had the 3500, 4500 and now the 5000 series .. the 5000 Series is by far the most capable and easiest to install and maintain.

Got'm

Hi Larry,

I've got them for the new 7. Haven't fired them up yet but hope to be flying early next year. Very easy install. I'm using the Approach Systems Hub which helped. For new installs AFS has the stuff to really simplify wiring.

Pretty much plug and play for your set up. Love the touch screens.