Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Sometime back Bob mentioned that they might put out a training DVD. Has anyone heard anything new on this.

Pat

Simulators are what we need!

A DVD is nice, BUT, I think the EFIS vendors would do themselves and their user base a HUGE favor by writing PC based simulators for their products. This would also guarantee them a significant number of additional sales since users could try the product and train with the product in the comfort of their living room. A LOT cheaper than burning Avgas to do the same. It would also eliminate time spent by the manufacturers answering the same frequently asked questions over and over.

I just can't understand why nobody is doing this. Are there any significant technical hurdles to overcome?

Maybe this is a business idea for some enterprising software types. A simulator with the ability to import various modern avionics and fly them on your PC. Maybe the manufacturers don't have time to deal with this given other priorities but would make their code available to a 3rd party simulator developer assuming the appropriate nondisclosure/copyright agreements.

Seems like a win-win for all concerned...

Training

I don't disagree that a PC sim would be nice however a simple DVD with the basics would be cheap and a good place to start. One of the top Avionics shops told me today they may start producing a DVD with each panel they build that would at least show the new owner the setup programing and basics. The glass market has really evolved since I built my first RV 10 years ago however the OEM training is lagging far behind. A good way to create a strong competative advantage would start with good training tools.

Pat Stewart

A DVD is nice, BUT, I think the EFIS vendors would do themselves and their user base a HUGE favor by writing PC based simulators for their products.

That would be great. I did a lot of work with the free Garmin 430/530 simulator during my PPC. And would increase my ability to decide on a product in advance, for an experimental...

EDIT: I think the MGL Avionics stuff has a sim, but it seemed to take some work to get it setup, as it was based more about working with your own unit.

Last edited: