ArjanPlomp

Hi All,
We considering upgrading our 8 to IFR. It will be a 430W, most likely a TrioPropilot (as soon as the GPSS and GPSV are confirmed to be working) and a double 6.5" screen EFIS. We are debating between the GRT and the AFS. The AFS 3400 is significantly cheaper than two GRT HX's.

However.... the 3400 and synthetic vision is new, while the GRT's have been flying for a while. I cannot find any screenshots online showing the synthetic vision of the AFS's. Anyone (beta testers) have any available? Actually, I cannot find much information online regarding the 3400 as most people here seem to use the 3500.

Also anyone any experience with the NavWorx receiver? Rather than buying seperate GPS & XM weather modules, I'm thinking about the NavWorx.

Arjan Plomp
N83SE

PS: panel design works like a charm using Microsoft Visio! Just download the Vans's DXF panel file to have a correct size panel in Visio and paste screenshot pictures in the document, resize the screenshot and voila!

Last edited:
hi arjan,

did my initial planning in visio as well :)
worked just fine!

however, i would be careful using it as a cutting template for cad..
you need to add like .2mm at some cutouts, plan in the spacer on the radio stack etc... if you don't want to be using a file when fitting everything.

we will have two afs3400 (new gen, don't know yet wheter they will be called 3400 still). it's the old case and buttons/input/screen with the new processor board, sv etc...
we are waiting for them for over a year now, but they should finally deliver starting october 19th...
wiring was relatively easy and we're just waiting for the units hoping everything will run plug&play ;-)
price-feature wise i think they have the sweet spot.
also, think about buying the trutrak digiflight IIVSGV version called "advanced pilot" as this will make it fully remote controllable from the efis. not only will it fly the gpss horizontal/vertical but also engage/disengage/engage in the right mode.
the most recent pictures i have seen are the ones rob posted here on vaf recently (with the runway visible) and the ones from osh.
picture wise, the 3400 and 3500 are exactly the same. same resolution, same software. the larger screen simply has larger pixels / larger pixel grid.
good luck researching!

cu bernie

Trio VS TruTrak

Hi Bernie,

Thank your your answer! I spoke with Rob van Advanced and understood the first 2 units have shipped, a batch of 25 others are going out, followed by the following production batch of 100. A total of 200 are in the queue.

We're thinking about the Trio Pro. It's 1300 cheaper and offers the same functionality. MIke just purchased one for his -4 (I assume you know he sold the -7A)?

Best regards,
Arjan