rv9av8tr

Well Known Member
I've not been able to find much discussion about fuel injection units in the forums. I'm struggling between the Airflow Performance and Precision Airmotive (formally Bendix) units. It seems folks have had more installation problems with the PA units.... yes / no? I totally get the advantage of the AFP's Purge valve design. Any issues with installation & operation of it? I see some folks have said they didn't install the valve. Why?

I'm putting an O-320 D3G in my RV-9A and I need to pick a FI system. Can ya'll provide some feedback about pro's & cons of these two systems?

Thanks!!
Mike 9-1330 Fuselage

AFP or PA Fuel injection units

Mike:

I recommend that you consider the AFP system. Support from Don at AFP is excellent; his system is top notch and it works as advertised. The expertise offered and willingness to help you set up your engine so it is really balanced in terms of even EGT's is very valuable. Call and speak with him, you'll be glad you did.

Mike,
I have an AFP on my O-360. I've been very satisfied with the results. The purge valve system works exactly as advertised, the cost is definitely competitive, and the quality/function of the actual fuel injection has worked very well. As with any project, there are some things I would do the same, and others that I would do differently, if I build another RV. I would definitely use the AFP system again if/when I build again.

BTW, there was a very good thread posted by Dan Checkoway a few days (maybe a week) ago that had some very good data on the AFP, directly from Don himself. Do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find it.

avpro56 said:
Mike:

I recommend that you consider the AFP system. Support from Don at AFP is excellent; his system is top notch and it works as advertised. The expertise offered and willingness to help you set up your engine so it is really balanced in terms of even EGT's is very valuable. Call and speak with him, you'll be glad you did.

I couldn't have said it better. I have AFP on both planes and they are flawless. The few times I have needed information the phone never rang more than twice before the man himself answered.

My XP-360 has the PA SilverHawk EX System. There is really only one fit issue...an issue that could have been avoided if I would have done more research.

If you go with PA, be sure to get the servo with the mixture arm pointed UP. You can't simply rotate the arm 180 degrees because the throw will be backwards if you're using venier type mixture control. If the arm is down you'll have to cut a gash out of your FAB and fill it (this is what I'm doing). Other than that (which is easily rectified with a little foresight) there is no fit issue with that unit.

AFP vs PA

We use AFP on 95% of the EXP engines we build (sorry, shamefull plug). The reasons stated in the earlier post is one reason. Don and Colleen and the guys at Airflow are exceptional people to deal with and are always a phone call away. Their systems work as advertised and are complete out of the box, ready to install WITH installation directions and trouble shooting guides. Highly recommend AFP.

Allen
BPE, Inc.

If you're going to use Van's firewall forward kit (which I'd recommend as a huge time-saver), it's set up for the Precision Airmotive system. Cable lengths, brackets, firewall penetrations, fuel hoses, etc. will likely have to be customized with the AFP.

No likely about it

It WILL need to be modified.

Having said that I managed to use all the standard cables (mine has a LH throttle).

I had to shorten the #6 fuel hose and have the purge hose made. These are both inexpensive at your local hydraulics shopped however. Remember to buy the firesleeve upfront if you go this route.

Frank