Future RV 9 Flyer

Does it matter which way the flow divider sits?Looked yesterday and the labels are upside down. Poor photos but the labels are upside down

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 101
Thanks Walt. Chasing an idling problem when hot so wasn’t sure if that would make a difference.
Idling problems are 'somewhat' normal when hot due to fuel boiling in the FI line. You may want to check what nozzle size you have, the std used to be .028 but I think .024 or .025 is what I ended up with, it does help. The spring in the divider can also be a factor, call AFP and ask them about that.

If a FI Lycoming will idle without having to manipulate the throttle to keep it running, you’re good!

If a FI Lycoming will idle without having to manipulate the throttle to keep it running, you’re good!
Thanks all. I changed the restrictors to .022 awhile back after talking with Don at AFP. Added fuel pump shroud to engine fuel pump and all fuel lines are fire sleeved.Boost pump on makes no difference.100LL only.Heat shields on exhaust pipes anywhere fuel lines are even remotely close to pipes.Back taxing yesterday after flying to get fuel the engine died and couldn’t catch it with the throttle.Seems I need at least 1100 rpm to keep it running but then I’m riding the brakes a lot.Takeoff and cruise the engine runs beautifully and my Chts and Egts are just fine.Fustrating and somewhat unsafe when the engine dies on the runway.Hope to do a lot of asking questions and discussion at Osh.I’ll take some more pictures of my fuel line routing from the firewall forward when I get to the hangar on Tuesday

Ignition? Mags or electronic? Air Temp when it's doing this?
Photos will help us.
1100 is too much. Mine [RSA-5] will idle well under 1000 when hot, hot day, but keeps burping as the bubbles pass through the system.

I have a lightweight Catto prop on an Io320. I have gone through the fuel system and shortened all the fuel lines as much as possible, added heat shields, etc.
my idle at 680 rpm is rough, especially after heat soaking on ground. So i usually run boost pump on ground. I like to idle at 1000 rpm when stationary to keep fuel flowing and to not let fuel heat soak to much.

Osh take off congo line should be fun; looking forward to that……not.

Thanks all. I changed the restrictors to .022 awhile back after talking with Don at AFP. Added fuel pump shroud to engine fuel pump and all fuel lines are fire sleeved.Boost pump on makes no difference.100LL only.Heat shields on exhaust pipes anywhere fuel lines are even remotely close to pipes.Back taxing yesterday after flying to get fuel the engine died and couldn’t catch it with the throttle.Seems I need at least 1100 rpm to keep it running but then I’m riding the brakes a lot.Takeoff and cruise the engine runs beautifully and my Chts and Egts are just fine.Fustrating and somewhat unsafe when the engine dies on the runway.Hope to do a lot of asking questions and discussion at Osh.I’ll take some more pictures of my fuel line routing from the firewall forward when I get to the hangar on Tuesday
Getting the idle mixture adjusted on the AFP is a little challenging, but you should certainly be able idle (650-700) without dying.
I run straight mags so it can be done.

By chance:
- Did you set the idle mixture?
- Is this horizontal injection? If so did you install a Sniffle Valve (as in is the Sniffle valve port open)? I saw this once on a IO-360 that would not idle below 1000 RPM.

I'll add that I have a Catto 2 blade.
1 mag, 1 Lightspeed
I may be helped by it being an -H2AD, so fuel pump is up front.
I added a lot of DEI heat shield, which helped some.
Such as https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-010487-Heat-Shroud/dp/B013DPBB56/ref=asc_df_B013DPBB56/
I have vertical induction and heat shield from Fly Boys on all the fuel lines Also.Idle mixture was set to about a 40-50 rpm rise when pulling the mixture to ico. When first starting from cold it idles great. Just trying to get it to not die after landing.

The lighter props do make a difference. The heavier metal props, specifically CS, have more momentum and will get a blade or two more through when dying. This increases the opportunity to catch and fire. Seen this most on hot starts comparing composite with metal.
Still, keep working on it. Stumbling is pretty normal but shouldn’t die.

Nearly identical to my issue. I’m flying behind a Lycon IO-360 angle valve 220hp. I called AFP and they sent me some .24 injector restrictors. I’m hoping it clears it up. I was told by Don that if I went to .22 flow restrictors I’d have to keep my fuel pump on the whole time. Changing the springs from #2 to #4 springs might work… else I might have to drill the spider and put a fuel return line to the tank.

Please keep us posted on any fix you find, I’ll do the same.

X