IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm planning to convert my 9A from carb to FI and want to use the Airflow Performance pump and filter.

Vans sells a kit of parts for $95 ("7/7A F.I. BRACKET KIT") that makes a "doghouse" forward of the fuel selector box. The pump and filter go inside the doghouse, next to each other.

There are a couple small fuel lines to make, but my question involves the line that goes forward to the firewall.

In the Vans design, the fuel pump output is aft, so the line must curve 180 degrees down, under the pump, and then run all the way forward, then up and right to where the firewall fitting is.

This seems like a long line, with a bunch of bends in it. My bending skills must be sub-par as I feel like I could never make this line.

Have others used the Vans kit and run a single long fuel line like this?

Last edited:
I think AFP's new fuel pump kit is much less complicated with all of the plumbing. I went with the EFII pump and it was very easy to install. I was able to get it to fit under the Van's doghouse, but I did a bit of modifications to the underlying aluminum sheet (thicker) to allow better support for wiring and brake line runs underneath.

IMG_2010-M.jpg

Hi Dave,
Funny you should ask. I'm in the middle of this task, right now. I haven't gotten to that particular line yet, but it doesn't look like a big deal from my perspective. The tougher one is the 180* you have to make from the filter to the pump, but even that one isn't too tough. On the smaller one you need to make sure you have enough clearance so the "dog house" will fit. Fortunately there is lots of forgiveness for where you put it.

On the topic of benders, I have the bender from Harbor Freight....please do not waste your gas driving there to get it. It is such rubbish! I am waiting on a new bender (the one I should have purchased) from ACS...should be here Thursday.

I made a couple, the second one was best. It is tough without bend data.

I would suggest that you make a wooden mockup with a board for the spar at one end and one for the firewall at the other. That should make it easier, but pay close attention to the other lines under the tank selector. It might be best to attach them all to the pump in the mockup.

Why a mockup? Because you can have a full length piece, and make adjustments to the aft bends to clear things without interference of the forward, unformed piece. Then you can custom bend the 90 Deg what turns from the floor up to the bulkhead fitting.

Your skills are fine, but planning technique will pull it through. It is definitely a 3D challenge.

Good luck! Happy Bending!

This seems like a long line, with a bunch of bends in it. My bending skills must be sub-par as I feel like I could never make this line.

Have others used the Vans kit and run a single long fuel line like this?

It took a couple of tries to get that line right. I put an inline AN coupling about halfway to the firewall to make installation easier. When it's all one piece, installation was going to be as tricky as fabrication.

Dave send me an email. Doing several of this now for customers.
Basically a 180* connecting tube from the filter outlet to the pump inlet, them another 180* tube from the pump outlet towards the firewall, running under the pump plate. I put a Male -6 fitting on my tube, so it can connect to a teflon hose that routes inter the plate to the firewall bulkhead fitting, generally with a 90* hose end at the firewall. Most guys use a straight bulkhead fitting, but I can make anything you want.
Tom

Dave send me an email. Doing several of this now for customers.
Basically a 180* connecting tube from the filter outlet to the pump inlet, them another 180* tube from the pump outlet towards the firewall, running under the pump plate. I put a Male -6 fitting on my tube, so it can connect to a teflon hose that routes inter the plate to the firewall bulkhead fitting, generally with a 90* hose end at the firewall. Most guys use a straight bulkhead fitting, but I can make anything you want.
Tom

This is the way I am going very soon and Tom will be making them for me. We call him "Hoser" for reason :D