Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
For some insane reason Vans continues to supply their AFP boost pump kit with an obvious fit conflict between the fuel line on the pump and the filter. Everyone who's got this far knows what I mean.

There seems to be four possible solutions:

1. Completely dismantle the kit and reassemble with revised tubing. This solution will probably invalidate the warranty.

2. Unscrew the T-fitting in the gate valve by 10 degrees and instal revised tubing. This solution is common but goes against accepted practice in that pipe fittings should never be partially unscrewed lest they break their seal and leak. AFP themselves do not recommend this solution.

3. Raise the pump up using some form of rubber spacer. This solution is less common but may make more sense.

4. Instal the pump manifold on a 10 degree angle in contravention of Vans instructions to mount it "as close to vertical as possible". This solution is appealing but I'm not sure what it really means.

So what have others done. Has anybody had success with the rubber spacer approach.

The fuel system is a non redundant system. One strike and you're down. It's not an area I care to be "experimental" about.

Bob Barrow said:
For some insane reason Vans continues to supply their AFP boost pump kit with an obvious fit conflict between the fuel line on the pump and the filter. Everyone who's got this far knows what I mean.

Bob:

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. I installed my AFP setup earlier this month and I didn't see any fit conflict. I bought my pump system last month. Bend lines per the drawings and then just massage them a bit to fit. I agree that it sure looks like a challenge but, it is doable. I only had to redo 1 line, the others went in on the first try.

Sit back and have a beer while you noodle it over.

Jekyll

Jekyll said:
Bob:

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. I installed my AFP setup earlier this month and I didn't see any fit conflict. I bought my pump system last month. Bend lines per the drawings and then just massage them a bit to fit. I agree that it sure looks like a challenge but, it is doable. I only had to redo 1 line, the others went in on the first try.

Sit back and have a beer while you noodle it over.

Jekyll

The problem with the AFP boost pump conflict was reported by Dan Checkoway on Jan 16, 2003. For further illustration on his website you may go here. http://www.rvproject.com/20030116.html

However the problem was reported in the archives well before this date. I bought my AFP boost pump kit from Vans in December 2005 and the problem still existed then. I had several friends who bought the pump from Vans between Jan 2003 and Dec 2005 and all had the same problem. I think it is therefore obvious and clear that vans shipped the wrong configuration for a number of years despite the fact that many people contacted them asking how to fix the problem.

Perhaps they have now gotten around to instructing AFP to supply the pump with the fuel tube as per the Vans drawings.

I don't need to noodle over the thing anymore...but thanks for your suggestion. I can identify a physical conflict when I see one....it's when two objects both want to occupy the same space at the same time. :)

I must've got lucky. I had good clearance on that tube with the pump in a vertical position, but I'm aware of others haven't been so lucky. I have a Flash presentation of my installation in the Hotline.

Bob:

I looked at the Checkoway site and see what you are talking about. I had the same interference between the clamp barrel and the fuel line when I first started to assemble the items. I rotated the filter clamp so the barrel was between the filter and pump. Interference solved, pump is vertical.

Jekyll