bkthomps

Well Known Member
Has anyone run the affordable panels and skyview combo? I purchased the XL version and I'm running the math on it, looks to be that a panel will not fight on the copilot side with the standard templates, or will it? Let's see some pics and hear some stories!

skyview.jpg

Last edited:
Brain,

Funny that you asked this question. I been doing some armcharm panel planning for the distant future. I've pretty much decided on the Skyview and the Affordable Panels panel, but combining them seems to have some challenges.

First of all do you have a slider or a tip-up? The panels are different which you probably already know. I was thinking I was going to go with a tip-up but after looking at the panel drawings the slider seems to have more room for the 10" unit on the pilot side. For the other side I just couldn't see how to get the large display to work. I was thinking that maybe the 7" display would be a good choice. I'd be interested to hear how others have addressed these issues even though I'm far away from actually building my panel.

I have the Affordable XL Panel and had to cut the frame to move the avionics bay over 2.5" to the right in order to install dual AFS 4500s on the pilot side. I than had someone weld the frame back together again. Quick and easy fix for me.

Depending on what you're installing on the pilot side, you could do the opposite and move the avionics bay to the left. That would allow you to install the Skyview a little to the left and down in order to clear the frame.

Just a thought.

Lotta money for the copilot

Nothing to do with Affordable Panels, but I have a dual 7" Skyview, each in front of a seat with radios in the center. Love the Skyview. The one on the right side is almost usless to me. Why did I put it way over there out of sight? Cause it looked good. Don't make the same mistake. If the second display were in the center, it could be devoted to a map display. It will get moved during the conditional.

I was test fitting my Dynon 10" Skyview unit today. I had to go to Vans to get a new panel because if I used the 10" EFIS positioned 2 1/4" below the deck so as to clear the brace or rib to the instrument panel. When the Skyview was positioned at the 2 1/4" from the top I did not have the panel space below the EFIS for switches. Vans sells a two inch taller panel that you can cut down to whatever you need. So I'll be cutting a inch off. So in this case my mixture and throttle knobs will be in the panel too rather than having a separate mounting plate for the cables. Also you gain extra room for your air vents on the side too! I'm mounting a smaller airspeed indicator left of the EFIS. If I had the extra money I would mount a second 7" EFIS some 4" to the right of the 10" and put a Transponder and a Com Radio under the 7". Just to get a visual. Both the the 10" and 7" would be mounted on and under a Left to Right straight line at the top of the EFIS's. The passenger gets to watch you, or play with the glove/chart box! If you want those 1" warning lights there's plenty of room at the top of the panel just above the EFIS screens and located between the two ribs that your panel attaches to.

Ron in Oregon