N402RH

Well Known Member
Advanced Flight Systems Inc. has announced new software to support the integration of the Trig/Dynon Remote Transponders with the AF-5000 series EFIS systems. After installing the free software upgrade you will be able to use the Trig/Dynon SV-XPNDR-261 Remote Transponder to satisfy the FAA's "2020 ADS-B Out mandate" (the SV-XPNDR-262, because of its lower output power class rating, won't be able to be used for 2020 mandate compliance). The AF-5000 EFIS to SV-XPNDR-26x interface does not require any separate converter module and was developed with the full cooperation of Trig and Dynon.

When the SV-XPNDR-26x is combined with the FreeFlight XPLORER ADS-B receiver users will have access to ADS-B Traffic and free ADS-B weather on the AF-5000 series EFIS screens.

Both of the SV-XPNDR-26x Transponders and the FreeFlight XPLORER ADS-B receiver are available for purchase from Advanced Flight Systems.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

How about the Trig TT22?

Rob,

I presume the Trig/Dynon remote transponder is a close relative of Trig's stand-alone transponders, probably a direct derivative... So, would it also be possible now for the AF-5X00 EFIS to control a Trig TT22 transponder?

-Roee

Trig-22 and remote control

No. Unfortunately there is no remote control capability on the Trig-22 like the SV-XPNDR-26x.

This invariably is the primary difference after having no head unit on the SV-XPNDR-26x.

As an additional note, if there is a requirement for a certified encoder the Ameroking AK-350 will do the job and connect up the the remote very easily.

I already have a TT22, and I'm happy with that. The encoder is not the issue for me. I want a TT22, so it does have its own control head in the panel. That way, my transponder can operate stand-alone, completely independently of the EFIS, which I value as a measure of system fault tolerance (if the EFIS craps out, I still have the transponder). It would, however, still be nice to be able to control the transponder through the EFIS as well as through its own control head. Especially, it would be nice to be able to set the squawk code by punching numeric soft keys on the EFIS (quick and easy) rather than twisting the encoder knob on the Trig control head for one digit at a time (awkward, time-consuming...). So what I'm asking for is obviously not a must, but a nice to have.

As an additional note, if there is a requirement for a certified encoder the Ameroking AK-350 will do the job and connect up the the remote very easily.

The Skyview will accept serial data from an external encoder (if required), however the AK350 does not have a serial output.

AK350

Agreed, however, you can connect the encoder direct to the transponder. I emailed Ameriking and after an assessment of the installation manual they have confirmed this capability direct to the transponder.

The Skyview will accept serial data from an external encoder (if required), however the AK350 does not have a serial output.

Agreed, however, you can connect the encoder direct to the transponder. I emailed Ameriking and after an assessment of the installation manual they have confirmed this capability direct to the transponder.

Not sure which manual you are referring to, but according to the installation manuals of both units neither the TT22 or the Dynon SV xpdr will accept gray code or serial altitude data directly. Perhaps they were referring the the TT31 transponder as it will accept both gray code (AK350) or serial data.

Last edited:
The AF-5000 EFIS to SV-XPNDR-26x interface does not require any separate converter module and was developed with the full cooperation of Trig and Dynon.

Very good move Rob. As always, I continue to be impressed by your developments.

(Edited after Dynon filled me in on who initiated this partnership....)

Interesting marketing strategy by Dynon. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out in the end.

Last edited:
We have a couple of these Dynon/Trig units here at SteinAir for customers' airplanes and they are a nice, compact, tray-mounted box. Good move on Rob's part.

Last edited:
Info and confirmation

Hi All,

I have not tested this process as yet, however, here is the email trail:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Andrew
Thank you for your Email today,

you can connect the Encoder P/N AK-350 per page 13--11 on the manual (Ref: Skyview Installation Guide.pdf).

Please accept our sincere thank for your interest in Ameri-King's
products. I look forward to hearing the order from you soon.

Best Regards,

Victor Van
Sales Manager
Ameri-King Corp.
17881 Sampson Lane, Huntington Beach, CA 92648, USA
Phone (714) 842-8555______Fax (714) 842-4235
[email protected]_________www.ameri-king.com

-----Original Message-----
To: ameriking9 <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, Feb 4, 2013 6:17 pm
Subject: RE: AK-350 Questions
As required

Regards,

Andrew Long
www.ozrv10.com

M: +61 414 593 580

Sent: Tuesday, 5 February 2013 1:01 PM
To: Long, Andrew
Subject: Re: AK-350 Questions

Thank you for your Email.
Please email installation manual of Dynon remote Mode S transponder (SV-XPNDR-261).
We will review and let you know.
Thank you.
Keith Van
Ameri-King Corp.
17881 Sampson Lane, Huntington Beach, CA 92648, USA
Phone (714) 842-8555______Fax (714) 842-4235
[email protected]_________www.ameri-king.com

-----Original Message-----
To: ameriking9 <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, Feb 4, 2013 5:46 pm
Subject: AK-350 Questions
Hi,

I am wondering if this endcoder will supply a Dynon remote Mode S transponder (SV-XPNDR-261) that receives information from the Dynon Skyview system.

Basically will it provide information to a Mode S transponder.

Regards,

Andrew Long
www.ozrv10.com

M: +61 414 593 580
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps people out there. If it is wrong let me know as I relied on the experts..... :)

There is no way to connect a altitude encoder directly to the Dynon transponder, no matter what EFIS is controlling it. There is not a gray code, serial, or any other kind of input. It just isn't possible. It gets it's altitude data over the data connection to the EFIS, and that's the only place it can get it.

When using a Dynon transponder with a Dynon SkyView, we allow the user to connect a serial encoder to one of our serial ports and will pass that to the transponder as the altitude in favor of the altitude read by our ADAHRS. This requires a serial transponder with a specific format output.

It will be up to AFS if they wish to support an external encoder in this way as well, but it is not an inherent capability of the transponder itself.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics

The AF-5000 systems have an ICARUS in / ICARUS out RS-232 serial port setting. If you have this setting and are feeding the EFIS valid ICARUS altitude data it will be sent to the Transponder from the external source.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

ADS-B GPS position source

Does this setup take care of the ADS-B (out) position source? Or do you still need a certified WAAS GPS such as a 4XX, 5XX, 650, 750, etc.?

To be 2020 compliant you will still need a certified GPS in the aircraft. The transponder does not include a GPS.

Clarified

Thanks for that info. Seems I was mistaken. Sorry about that, was working off the expert opinion.

That's fine at least it seems like I will have an option anyway through the AFS.

Remote control of Garmin Transponders

Ian,

P.S. I believe that at present the Garmin panel mounted transponders do support that capability (although I elected to go with Trig for other reasons). But it would sure be nice if the Trig - Dynon - Advanced Flight "axis" could support this capability as well.

The new AF-5000 software release will also support remote control of the Garmin Transponders (GTX327, GTX330, GTX330es, ...) from the EFIS screen.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Port to the 4500s?

Rob,

Any plans to eventually port these features to the 4500s with the s processor? Please!?

David