JakeLewis22

Well Known Member
When I signed up for the Whirlwind 200RV group buy I told Kevin at American Propeller that I was leaning toward Aerosport's IO-375. Now, Kevin needs to know for sure what engine I'm going to use. So, I would love to talk to someone who is flying the IO375/200RV combo. If not, is anyone flying an IO375 that would like to comment about the engine?

What is the rated HP claimed for the IO375? I did not knot about this engine until seeing this post. I see Aerosport has the pricing but no specs that I could find.

When I signed up for the Whirlwind 200RV group buy I told Kevin at American Propeller that I was leaning toward Aerosport's IO-375. Now, Kevin needs to know for sure what engine I'm going to use. So, I would love to talk to someone who is flying the IO375/200RV combo. If not, is anyone flying an IO375 that would like to comment about the engine?

You really should talk to Greg Anderson or Bill Koleno at Whirlwind (440-275-3205). Either of them will be able to tell you more about the 200RV than anyone else on the planet. I believe the 200RV and Aerosport IO-375 will work together, but you had best get that from the source. Call them.

What is the rated HP claimed for the IO375? I did not knot about this engine until seeing this post. I see Aerosport has the pricing but no specs that I could find.

I called Aerosport a few months ago and spoke with Bart. I'm sure I was asking all the same engine questions that hundreds of RV builders have asked before me. Bart answered each question very politely and spent a good 20-30 min. on the phone with me.

One of my comments to Bart was that I didn't want a high compression engine that required 100LL because of its uncertain future. He told me about his IO-375 in which he has taken a parallel valve IO-360 and installed a longer stroke crank (he developed with ECI) bringing the displacement up to 375 cubic inches. He says that he is getting 195+ HP from the engine with about 8:1 compression.

This seems like a no brainer. Why not get 195 HP from a 180 HP engine, that's running at a lower compression ratio. (with no weight penalty!) He said the the prototype 375 first ran about 5 years ago and the engines have tested very well. He also said that the IO-375 has been through vibration testing with Hartzell and tested better than the IO-360.

As I told Bart, my only apprehension is that the engine has a short track record. When I was asked by American Propeller which engine I was using with the WW 200RV, I started this forum string. I was hoping someone would have first hand experience with the 375 that could assure me I'm making a good decision.

You really should talk to Greg Anderson or Bill Koleno at Whirlwind (440-275-3205). Either of them will be able to tell you more about the 200RV than anyone else on the planet. I believe the 200RV and Aerosport IO-375 will work together, but you had best get that from the source. Call them.

I will call Greg or Bill after the holiday weekend and see what they have to say.

Thanks,
Jake

I spoke with Greg Anderson at Whrilwind and he doesn't have any first hand experience with the IO-375. He said that he has spoken to a few builders with the IO-375 and had not heard anything bad. No news is good news???

At this point I see no reason not to go with the IO-375 so as soon as I get a little closer to needing an engine I'll place my order.

I spoke with Bill Koleno at Whirlwind

I called Whirlwind yesterday on another subject and this time I spoke with Bill Koleno. The conversation turned to the IO-375. Bill has had experience with it working with the short take off and landing competitors. They have been using the IO-375 in Super Cub's with very good results. Bill spoke highly of the engine and said that the IO-375 & WW 200RV will make a great combo on an RV7.

IO-375 and 200RV Sold!

I called Whirlwind yesterday on another subject and this time I spoke with Bill Koleno. The conversation turned to the IO-375. Bill has had experience with it working with the short take off and landing competitors. They have been using the IO-375 in Super Cub's with very good results. Bill spoke highly of the engine and said that the IO-375 & WW 200RV will make a great combo on an RV7.

Sale made and done deal! :D I'm far from an engine but if this is the path you take please keep us informed. Good or bad.

Updates

I was 'wanting' the IO-390, but with prices going up on that model, it may be reaching the limit of what I can pay for an engine. The IO-375 price/hp looks intriguing. I concur, please keep us posted on how that works out for you.