Lyle

Patron
2a68n7p.jpg
[/IMG]
Last year in October I took this o-360 A1F6D to Aerosport in Kamloops British Columbia to get rebuilt. I purchased the engine for $4500.00 Canadian. The log books shows it came out of a 1972 Cessna Cardinal. It had 1100 hours on it. It had not been run since 1978 when the aircraft it was in was hit by high winds in Regina, Saskatchewan.

Lyle

Engine rebuild

etsn46.jpg
[/IMG]
After talking with Darren Wilkinson from Aerosport, I was able to take part in the teardown and rebuilding of the engine. I was assigned to work with Rob Horvath to do the engine. Here's a picture where we started the teardown.

Lyle

Crankshaft

zlro68.jpg
[/IMG]
This is the counter ballanced crankshaft. I was worried about how it would check out. Rob put it on the work bench and tested it. It was perfect and had minimal wear. The case was sent for testing, it came back good. So, when it came to the cylinders, I decided to go with new Lycoming Cylinders, pistons and rings. And even though the cam shaft was not bad, I had them put a new one in. All this would give me a zero timed engine.

Lyle

A Month Later.

2wp8nrd.jpg
[/IMG]
So in the last pictures it was around the middle of October 2015. I then went back to Kamloops the first week of December 2015. Here is the cart with everything ready. We used the old crank, connecting rods and the case. The engine is being equipted the the EFII system from Robert.

Lyle

Case Halves

2re4g3r.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is a photo of the case halves cleaned up and re-painted. Looks good.

Lyle

The End Result

w8lu1j.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is me and Rob, he was great to work with and he showed me a lot of things along the way. He also talked to me on the break-in and care of the engine.

Lyle

Home Inspection

epjj84.jpg
[/IMG]
When I got the engine installed, one of my inspectors checked out Rob's work. She said it passed!! It's my Granddaughter Amelia, guess who she's named after..

Lyle

Installed Engine.

nfpj87.jpg
[/IMG]

I would like to thank Rob Horvath for the great engine, Darren Wilkinson for allowing me to come for the build, and to Doug Hammerton, who answered many of my questions and gave me good advice on the engine. All the folks at Aerosport were great and it was an experience I will never forget.
I am finishing painting my plane right now (Painting my 9A on here) and hope to have that part done by the end of November. This aircraft took me 10 years to build, it has been a wonderful experience. Not saying I haven't swore at it a couple of times and walked out of the garage, only to come back the next day refreshed and fix the mistake from the previous day.
I just completed 10 hours of training with Mike Seager ( Mike, you'll be in my head when I fly, "Keep that nosewheel off the ground") so I am getting very excited to fly this bird.

All the best.
Lyle Clarkson
Medicine Hat, Alberta.
Canada

Really cool!!

Thats awesome they let you take part! I know where I'll go when the day comes to do my engine. Bet your itching to fly- and it doesn't look far off!

Alex

Lyle, was the total engine cost for the rebuild cheaper than buying an equivalent engine new? You didn't replace everything, but you did incur a fair bit of labour... I'm just curious how that all balances out vs. buying one off-the-shelf.

Of course, you wouldn't get all that invaluable experience with engine dis/assembly if you just bought a new engine, I suppose...

Engine Cost.

Hi Rob,
My engine cost me $39,000.00. I paid $4500.00 for the A1F6D and $34500.00 to Aeropsport. I see you live in Canada so I don't have to explain the dollar difference. The engine would have cost me about $29000.00 American dollars.
Everything Aersport does is in American dollars. Also I installed the dual computers and fuel injection from EFII so that was included in the cost. At Aerosport we figured it out that a new Superior 360 with the EFII option would have cost about $46000.00 Canadian dollars. Only saviour to this if I was to sell the plane, which I am not, it would be priced in American dollars.

Lyle