Oleary83

Does anyone have experience using Aeroshell 33 on the wheel bearings? Grove calls out Aeroshell 22; I have a ready supply of Aeroshell 33. It seems to me that Aeroshell 33 will do the job...similar spec to Aeroshell 22 expect for the extreme high end of temperature. Any thoughts?
Thanks
John

Mil Spec descriptions - 33 seems to be optimized for low temps.

Shell 22

MIL-PRF-81322G, PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION: GREASE, AIRCRAFT, GENERAL PURPOSE, WIDE TEMPERATURE RANGE, NATO CODE G-395 (24 JAN 2005) [SUPERSEDING MIL-G-3545/MIL-G-81322E]., This specification covers one grade of general purpose, aircraft grease, NATO Code G-395, formulated to withstand operations at high speeds and a wide temperature range of -54 to 177 °C (-65 to 350 °F).

Shell 33

MIL-PRF-23827C, PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION: PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION, GREASE, AIRCRAFT AND INSTRUMENT, GEAR AND ACTUATOR SCREW (28 AUG 1998) [SUPERSEDES MIL-G-23827)., This specification covers the requirements for one grade of grease for use at extremely low temperatures on aircraft and instruments. This grease is effective in the temperature range from -73 degrees to 121 degrees C. The type I grease is identified by NATO code Number G-354

I personally would go for the higher temp range, especially since it's only 0.012 AMU (aka $12) from Spruce. :)

Added - blurb from the Shell Grease handbook

APPLICATIONS

AeroShell Grease 22 is especially recommended for use wherever severe operating conditions are encountered as in high bearing loads, high speeds, wide operating temperature range, and particularly where long grease retention and high resistance to water washout are required. The wide range of applications include aircraft wheel bearings, engine accessories, control systems, actuators, screw-jacks, servo mechanisms and electric motors, helicopter rotor bearings, instruments, airframe lubrication, hinge pins, static joints, landing gears. AeroShell Grease 22 contains a synthetic hydrocarbon oil and should not be used in contact with incompatible seal materials. Refer to the General Notes at the front of this section for further information.

AeroShell 33
For many years aircraft operators have been seeking to rationalise the greases used on aircraft and to reduce the number of different greases in their inventories. Recently Boeing began research on a new, general purpose, corrosion-inhibiting grease. The aim was for a non-clay based grease that would provide longer life for components and mechanisms and possess improved wear and corrosion resistance. This led to the introduction of the new Boeing Specification BMS 3-33. Owing to the wide range of operating temperatures, loads and other environmental conditions required for various aircraft components, several different types of grease with different desirable properties are used during routine lubrication of aircraft components. Boeing, in developing their BMS 3-33 specification, took account of the properties of the different grease types used on aircraft and wrote a specification for a grease which would provide improved performance and which could be used in the widest possible range of grease applications. That performance level has largely been adopted as the SAE AMS 3052 specification, which is in turn the basis for the Airbus AIMS 09-06-002 specification. AeroShell Grease 33 is approved to BMS 3-33B and offers the improved performance properties required by this specification and the other specifications mentioned above.
AeroShell Grease 33 can be used for routine lubrication on Boeing aircraft where MILPRF-23827C or BMS 3-24 is specified. AeroShell Grease 33 can also be used in some applications on Boeing aircraft which require use of MIL-G-21164. Other applications on Boeing aircraft which require use of MIL-G-21164 and other greases are being reviewed and in due course Boeing will issue details of the full range of applications. For the current status, refer to the latest issue of Boeing Service Letter “BMS 3-33 General Purpose Aircraft Grease”. AeroShell Grease 33 can be used for routine lubrication in applications where MIL-PRF23827C is specified on aircraft manufactured by McDonnell Douglas, Airbus, BAe Regional Aircraft, Canadair, Lockheed, Embraer, Fokker and Gulfstream (except for wheel bearings, applications above 121°C and sliding applications requiring molybdenum disulphide). Other aircraft manufacturers are evaluating AeroShell Grease 33 with the aim of approving it for use on their aircraft. Operators should regularly check with these manufacturers for the latest status.
Use of AeroShell Grease 33 can provide operators with the following benefits:
■ Reduced inventories ■ Easier maintainability (one major grease for most applications) ■ Reduced maintenance labour costs ■ Less chance of product mis-application
AeroShell Grease 33 contains a synthetic oil and must not be used with incompatible seal materials. Refer to the General Notes at the front of this section for further information.

Last edited:
My opinion - any general purpose grease is fine for wheel bearings on our machines. You're comparing greases that meet load, temp, separation, etc... requirements for machines that weigh tons, land at well over a hundred miles an hour, roll a long ways, fly at FL40 etc....
If I could dig enough ear wax out of my ears I might consider that as acceptable. This just isn't a high tech application unless Grove is using some special kind of bearing.

I use one grease on my machine for all applications; Aeroshell #5, including prop, wheels, and tailwheel.

Also, consider manufactueres can broaden the range of certified machines their product might be used on if they spec out grease with broader temp ranges and other specs. This is true of some constant speed props. Often you will find the manufacture will approve the use of "lesser" greases for "lesser" applications. (Hartzell ships with Aeroshell #6, but allows #5, as an example. #6 has higher and lower temp ratings, but #5 has better oil separation characteristics.)

My opinion - any general purpose grease is fine for wheel bearings on our machines. You're comparing greases that meet load, temp, separation, etc... requirements for machines that weigh tons, land at well over a hundred miles an hour, roll a long ways, fly at FL40 etc....
If I could dig enough ear wax out of my ears I might consider that as acceptable. This just isn't a high tech application unless Grove is using some special kind of bearing.

I use one grease on my machine for all applications; Aeroshell #5, including prop, wheels, and tailwheel.

Also, consider manufactueres can broaden the range of certified machines their product might be used on if they spec out grease with broader temp ranges and other specs. This is true of some constant speed props. Often you will find the manufacture will approve the use of "lesser" greases for "lesser" applications. (Hartzell ships with Aeroshell #6, but allows #5, as an example. #6 has higher and lower temp ratings, but #5 has better oil separation characteristics.)

I'm not sure the weight of the planes makes as much difference as you say. The bigger planes have bigger bearings and the point loads are probably similar to those on our little planes.

AeroShell 5 that you mention is a good wheel bearing grease, but was not in the OP's question, and it's even slightly cheaper than 22.

Shells aero grease application list is here, and it's usually advisable to use a product that is recommended my the manufacturer for specific applications. :)

http://www.shell.com/business-custo...66f2004ed372bbef1/aeroshell-book-5greases.pdf

Missed the point. This is a low tech application unless Grove uses some special bearing. Lots of discussion on this in the past.
If the OP wants to call Grove....

Otherwise, I'm sticking with ear wax !

Otherwise, I'm sticking with ear wax !

No, no....I'm much higher-tech than that......hi-temp wheel bearing grease from the closest Autozone. Never had a bearing problem on the RV-6 with good automotive grease. I repack the wheel bearings every 2-3 years whether they need it or not.... ;)

No, no....I'm much higher-tech than that......hi-temp wheel bearing grease from the closest Autozone. Never had a bearing problem on the RV-6 with good automotive grease. I repack the wheel bearings every 2-3 years whether they need it or not.... ;)

yeah, but why?

The Aeroshell 5 is only $2 more (and you get 2 oz more) from Spruce than Mobil wheel bearing grease from Autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/greases-and...on-universal-joints-synthetic-grease/1436_0_0

Why not use the actual aircraft stuff in this case? :)

Last edited:
yeah, but why?

The Aeroshell 5 is only $2 more (and you get 2 oz more) from Spruce than Mobil wheel bearing grease from Autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/greases-and...on-universal-joints-synthetic-grease/1436_0_0

Why not use the actual aircraft stuff in this case? :)

The cost of shipping form Spruce will send me to NAPA auto parts for STA-LUBE boat trailer bearing grease....

Been using it for over 40 years on my aircraft and never needed to replaced a bearing. Touch this grease and you will know why.

Thanks to all. I have a shopping list of things I need from Aircraft Spruce anyhow...so I'll have them through in a tube of Aeroshell 22.
Happy flying.
John

Just to throw some more fuel on the fire, this is what I use for wheel bearings:
EXXON MOBIL SHC-100

Last edited:
The cost of shipping form Spruce will send me to NAPA auto parts for STA-LUBE boat trailer bearing grease....

Been using it for over 40 years on my aircraft and never needed to replaced a bearing. Touch this grease and you will know why.

Same here. Been using STA-LUBE since 1983 on a LongEZ with small (11x4.00-5) main tires; takes off and lands faster than any RV. The OEM Cleveland bearings are still doing fine with 3,300 hours :)

Walt - you fire bug . . .

Just to throw some more fuel on the fire, this is what I use for wheel bearings:
EXXON MOBIL SHC-100

That is more like a fire extinguisher. The Parker manual says:

"Beginning March, 2007 all active wheel assemblies listed in Table A4, except those noted for amphibious application, will be shipped from the Cleveland Wheels & Brakes facility with the bearings packed with Mobil Aviation Grease SHC 100, the approved preferred grease for all Parker Hannifn wheel assemblies."

While many sources are $30 a tube, mine was a LOT less.

That is more like a fire extinguisher. The Parker manual says:

"Beginning March, 2007 all active wheel assemblies listed in Table A4, except those noted for amphibious application, will be shipped from the Cleveland Wheels & Brakes facility with the bearings packed with Mobil Aviation Grease SHC 100, the approved preferred grease for all Parker Hannifn wheel assemblies."

While many sources are $30 a tube, mine was a LOT less.

Same here. I did procure a big honkin' tub of the stuff (for an arm and a leg), but I figure between me and my RV buddies, it'll last a lifetime or two. Just bought a tube of the stuff for something like 8 bucks, for the gun.