pierre smith

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,
I have a couple of cases of 10 year old Aeroshell 100W and wondered if it has a shelf life. Is there any reason to not use it in my 0-360? The plastic containers have always been under roof in my hangar in the original box.

Thanks,
Pierre

I had a Shell rep tell me that the shelf life is quoted at 5 years. But that is mostly a "CYA" thing. He told me that unless there are some kind of contributing factors there shouldn't be a problem with it. I have used AeroShell that was 10 years old. I would not be afraid of using it.
On the other hand, It is expired so if you will send it to me, I will dispose of it for you.

Big heart!!

Mel said:
On the other hand, It is expired so if you will send it to me, I will dispose of it for you.

You're all heart, Mel..... :D I agree that it's a CYA thing......

Pierre

Shelf Life

Pierre:

How long ago did that dinasaur donate it's life to enable you to have that oil?

This may sound stupid, but what I usually do with older oil is use it one quart per change, that way if there is a risk, it's diluted 7:1.

Pierre,

I asked this same question to Shell a while back. Here was their reply to me.

"Dale - shelf life on AeroShell piston engine oils is 4 years from date of manufacture. The cases you have are dated January 25th and March 25th of 1999 (MMDDY format for the date stamp after the letters WR).

I would recommend you not use the product. The biggest issue you face with out of date product is that the additives tend to "drop out" due to gravity, and once that happens you cannot properly re-mix them, even with vigorous shaking.

Sorry for the bad news, but again I cannot recommend use of this product in your aircraft."

END OF QUOTE.

I agree with OXSUSER, it probably wont hurt to add one per change.

Dale - FFZ,AZ

I'm thinking that the rotating and reciprocating internal engine parts the can "re-mix" those additives.

Couple months ago I asked Ben Vissar (sp?), a columnist with General Aviations News and a Shell Oil retiree, this very question. I was getting near the bottom of the barrel of Phillips 20W-50 that was upwards of ten years old. My concern was shelf life because I occasionally see darker, precipitate-like fluid in the last dribbles from quart bottles of Aeroshell W100 that are less than two years old.

His reply is that av oil must meet all performance specifications up to three years on the shelf. No comment on how different oils may change beyond that, but the tone was no worries.

Still, what about that Aeroshell discoloration I see and the comment above?
Engines make good blenders unless it's a chemical deterioration. Any one have the answer?

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Maybe this is what is meant by "rotate stock". You could flip your unused cases upside down every few months. :D