Yes, they are reuseable. Do check them for serviceability after you disassemble the current hose, and then make sure you put a drop of oil on the threads when reassembling.

Vic

Also make sure there are no pieces of hose rubber stuck down in between the cutter and nipple. Just dig any of that out with a pick.

rubber stuck between nipple and cutter.

I took the fittings off the hose and there is rubber stuck in that slot. I tried to get it out but I can't find a tool small enough and strong enough to get it out. Any suggestions?

Chris M

Chris
I have the mandrels for the AQ fittings and will back to FNL by 10 or 11 thurs morning..dave cook

I took the fittings off the hose and there is rubber stuck in that slot. I tried to get it out but I can't find a tool small enough and strong enough to get it out. Any suggestions?

Chris M

Chris,
As already noted a dental pick is an ideal tool for this, another thing that I have found to work is the "tab" that is left over from a Band-it?. The stainless steel "tab" is thin enough to work your way down and around thus ensuring that you remove all of the left over hose.

Regards,
Brett

Radio Shack Soldering Tools

Chris I was in Radio Shack during my recent Terra NAV to Garmin SL-30 modification and I bought a small pack of soldering tools that I thought might be useful. It is out at the hangar now but as I recall there were six black double ended tools with a central red plastic gripping surface. They included both straight and curved tips. I've never used them for your task but I can imagine using them because of their configuration and size.

Bob Axsom

thanks

Thanks for the tips. I have a dental pick but its too big to fit in the gap. I'll figure something out or get new fittings. thanks for the tips.

I much prefer 303 hose and 491 fittings but this is what I had origionally and I have not had vapor lock issues so I was trying to keep it the same.

CM

Aeroquip 816 fittings

Anyone have any good ideas for getting the little ring of rubber out of the fittings?

I rebuilt some -8 hoses, no problem, the little piece of rubber comes right out. However, the -4 all leave the piece of rubber inside the fitting upon disassembly. Very miserable process removing it, nothing very strong can fit in there. I used a small drill bit in a pin vise, and chewed away at it. Took maybe 45 minutes to clean out two of them.

The -4 parts are cadmium plated steel, so perhaps heating to 500F (cadmium melting point about 600F) or so might destroy the rubber. I took a torch to one, but wrecked it by melting the cadmium.

Perhaps some sort of solvent will work - I'm not sure what rubber is in the old 601 hose.

They are fine but....

I do not like re-using them.

They are a pain to assemble, and of all the leaky hose assemblies I have seen, these are the ones I have replaced the most of with a different design. I prefer the Teflon assemblies or the good old Aeroquip 303.
Yeah they are not that pretty but assembled correctly you will get the advertised life out of them.

Time spent-

cleaning, checking, and digging out pieces of hose liner could be saved by building Teflon hoses. You CAN get reusables for teflon hose in steel.
If you really want to use the 816 fittings, remember that the collars and stems are aluminum, so check the threads carefully, and lube them well during assembly to keep from galling or pulling the threads. PRESSURE TEST THEM!!!!
Tom

Last edited: